How much cold medicine should I give my two year old.

My daughter will be two years old next week. She currently has a bad cold. I want to giver her some cold medicine at bedtime only, just so she can sleep well. I know it is not reccomended to give toddlers cold medicine, but if I do, what is the dosage?

bellalilly

Asked by bellalilly at 1:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• none at all
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• ...and if you do it anyway, PLEASE call the child's doctor for dosage!!!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• call your local pharmacist, tell him or her what symptoms your 2 year old is having, he or she will suggest something and give you proper dosage.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would call the dr. I know what our pediatrician recommends and the dosage for my son, but it's based on a child's weight so it will be different.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There is no dosage, because you aren't supposed to give cold medicine to any child under ager 4, ESPECIALLY one under age 2, a week away or not.
    Anonymous

• Call your ped. Mine tells me that my children cannot have cold medicine, but they have suggested Benedryl to help dry them up at night. You'll have to get an approval and dosage for that, as well.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• what symptoms is she having anyway? there are some homeopathic remedies that are safe.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Absolutely none and cold medicine doesn't work anyway.   A humidifier or a steamy bathroom works wonders.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• that sucks... I used to put a towel in the dry er when they had a cold and wrap them snugabye style in the warm blanket. also used to give a little gripe water and lots of extra cuddles. It helps if you have warm baths with them on your tummy for extra comfort. in the steam its nice for their breath.. good luck
    prettymango

Answer by prettymango at 1:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• NONE! THERE IS A REASON WHY THERE IS NO COLD MEDICINE FOR THAT AGE GROUP!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011