Bottle feeding a breastfed baby

My son absolutely refuses to take a bottle. I strictly breastfeed him, which is fine. However, when I start back at school I will be pumping more so my husband can feed him. He refuses to take the bottle though.

Any suggestions? Did anyone else go through this?

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 2:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is he? My older 3 kids would never take a bottle because I always waited until 6 months or so to introduce it. With my 4th and 5th I introduced it early and it worked much better. How old will he be when you go back? You could try going straight to a sippy cup with breastmilk in it if he'll be 6-8 months or so.

Answer by missanc at 2:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• you could try a sippy cup with no valve and skip bottles. umm medela bottles and tomme teppe are the best for bf babies. but alotr of bf moms just do the sippy and it works. some babies reverse cycle.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My SIL tried half a dozen bottles with her baby, and the only one she'll take is the breast flow. Not sure who makes it, sorry, but she said it's spendy, $5 or so for each small one. A friend of mine's baby struggled to breastfeed, and they fed her the milk out of a little medicine cup - she lapped it up like a kitten and got enough nourishment to sustain her til she was able to latch on.
    Anonymous

• How many months is he? Maybe you can try putting it in a sippy cup instead of a bottle and see if that works? Obviously if he is really little, that probably won't work though.
    Anonymous

• He's 2 months old now. Oddly he took a bottle once at 3 weeks because my husband was excited/eager to try feeding him. However, every time he's tried since he refuses and cries profusely but stops immediate when I breastfeed him. I was going to take a couple classes this summer, starting next month or the month after but I decided I'm just going to go back in the fall then. He'll be closer to 8 months then and maybe he'll take a sippy cup with breast milk then.
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He may not like the type of bottle. I used the playtex dropins bottle with by BF baby and she took it fine. It has a big "breast-like" nipple.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• my husbands tried 2 diff types & my son wants no part in it. Even the one he took the first time he wont take now. He's also never liked the pacifier much.
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He will be more likely to take the bottle when you are out of sight, and preferably, out of the house. Have you tried having hubby offer it while you are out?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I haven't went anywhere without my baby since he's been born because he will only breastfeed and he's has to eat
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• YOU need to be GONE, OP. Out of the house entirely.

He might just wait till you're home. That's reverse cycling. 100% normal and fine. They do NOT starve themselves.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:46 AM on Mar. 22, 2011