If dad can't be around is it appropriate to ask for help with discipline over the phone?

My kids dad is in a situation where he can not be here right now. Well the other day I had a discipline problem with our daughter and I called him and asked him to help me talk to her over the phone (she is 5). He told me he didn't see what good it would do since he isn't here. Was I wrong to ask?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, he is still her father and should act like it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Sorry, but you are the one that is there - you should be the one that deals with the discipline. He's right discipline needs to be handled by the person that is present in the house and not over the phone.l
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think you made the right call. Ever heard (It takes a village) Parents need all the help they can get, period.
    darter

Answer by darter at 2:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No you are not wrong. You might want to talk to him alone and discuss together how to approach a problem and then he talks to your daughter and you do to. You need to be united on what the discipline will be. Taking away their most favorite thing for an apppropriate time worked the best with our kids. Each child has that favorite thing that they absolutely love. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He's your husband, it's never WRONG to ask him for help or suggestions. However, him actually disciplining her over the phone probably wouldn't do much good. I'd find a way of discipline that works for you. Sometimes mom & dad have to do it differently
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 2:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, he could still help. It might not be exactly the same as if he was there but he should try.
    katcb1019

Answer by katcb1019 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No him actually doi8ng the discipline over the phone may not do much but him talking to her and backing you up with your discipline may help ALOT
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 2:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It's never wrong to ask for help but keep one thing in mind: Sometimes when we ask another parent to help it makes the child feel like that parent is the authority and you are not.

You don't want to give up your authority but when you need help, you need help. It can really hard to parent when you're other half is missing.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think both parents need to be on the same page, or at least in the same book, when it comes to discipline. Once you establish that there's not much need to call for back up for routine discipline issues. Now, if your child does something that is completely off the charts, then you might need some back up. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think it was wrong persay, but I do think that it diminishes your authority in your child's eyes.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011