Health Care Law: Would you like to see your state follow Tennessee?

Gov. Bill Haslam has signed a proposal that would allow Tennesseans to opt out of the federal health care law.

The governor's office said Friday that the Republican governor had approved the measure.

The House passed the legislation 70-27 earlier this month, and the Senate approved it 21-10 last month.

The new federal health care law requires Americans either to buy health insurance or pay a penalty, beginning in 2014. Federal judges have come down differently on the requirement.

While opponents have said the legislation is unnecessary, sponsors say it doesn't argue for or against the federal law but just gives Tennesseans a choice.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely agree! With so many unions, etc; being given waivers, obviously, the H/C bill is NOT all that great and it's not fair to make some adhere, when those with waivers are exempt. This admin. campaigned HUGE on transparency, on this particular matter, they certainly are! They are blatantly discriminating against those who do NOT have waivers! I think people in general are fair, anyone can see that this H/C bill is NOT fair for everyone. I don't understand how people can still support such an unjust bill, especially, when we weren't even allowed a preview; anyone who signs a contract, blind, is an idiot! This progressive admin. abused their power and took advantage of the citizens of the United States of America, they IGNORED the majority's outcry against the H/C bill and simply gave us NO choice. I always thought that the majority rules, why did the opinion of the majority of U.S. citizens mean NOTHING at all?
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Nope. But then again I'm all for universal health care for all citizens.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, in fact that's enough to make me consider moving to TN.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• One of the reasons I voted for Haslam.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, I hate the fact that they are requiring people to buy insurance or pay a penalty. I like having choices. I don't see where it is helping people if they are forced to buy insurance or pay a penalty. Many people can't afford the many bills that have each month, we are gonna one more to that.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Having a choice is never a bad thing. But do the people get the choice or do the politicians get the choice? That's what makes a difference to me.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, please. Choice is good. Required purchasing of a product is bad.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I knew there was some reason I have been thinking of moving to Tennessee.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I like how it will be more affordable

***
    Do you have access to the actual costs of ObamaCare, or are you just ASSUMING the costs will be "affordable" because that's what Pelosi said?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

clapping

mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 5:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011