I think my child has OCD........

My son is very particular about things. For the past few months he has been throwing tantrum if the covers on his bed is not the right way. We have been up since 5am this morning because he woke up screaming bloody murder because of his bedding. He gets upset if his food is touching another food. Just a while ago I fix sandwiches and chips for lunch he got mad because the chips touch the sandwich and refuse to eat both. He has this habit where he is running around playing and all of sudden he has to go sniff his sister hair. He even gets up from dinner table to go sniff her hair. You guys I really don't think he can help it. What do you think? He dosen't go for his 3yr check up until October.

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that's normal for a toddler.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I raised 4 children and never had any act to that extreme. Good luck with it all.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think not many dr's would diagnose OCD at this age for those types of things. and believe me, I understand. My almost 3-1/2 year old has many "quirks" like these too - some I thought were very similar have gone away in the past 6 months and are more just funny quirky things.. I would just document from here on out abotu which things you are or he is affected by and keep them for his 3 yr appt
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• OCD in very young children doesn't look the same way as it does in adults. When children are very young they usually describe a series of disturbing thoughts, or are easily scared by things that don't scare most children. They develop OCD behaviors to distract them from the stress of thier fears.

One reason that your toddler may be so particular is because toddlers thrive on schedules and routines. They like everything to be the same, all the time...they like to live in a perdictible world. They have expectations and when those expectations aren't met they have a freak out because they don't have the social emotional skills or problem solving skills to deal with disruptions.

I would bring it up to your ped though...moms know better than anyone when something isn't right with their children.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Definately see a doctor about it. I'm not sure any of that is normal at this age.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son has ocd, he is 4. Same odd type of behaviors. Luckily his "aunt" has it as well so I have had her help in dealing with it. A traditional doctor will not diagnose him until he is at least 6.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• They usully donot diagnose children with OCD that young and there are other disorders that have OCD tendencies. Heres a good website for you too look at

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Don't you mean "CDO"? Yes, it's just like OCD, but the letters are all in the correct order. ;) Seriously though, I think OCD is only a problem for people when it begins to interfere with how they live their lives. Repetitive organizing is how toddlers learn, so I don't think I'd worry about it too much - unless the child is acting as if they are being stressed by the behavior.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I wish you guys can see the way he sniffs his sister hair. Its like he has to do it. He sniffs so hard where I have to take a deep breath. The hair sniffing is really bugging me out. He sniffs her hair like every ten minutes. I have woken up in the middle of the night with him leaning over the crib trying to sniff her hair.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Talk to his doctor. Make an earlier appointment and talk to his doctor.
    It's possible that he does have some form of OCD or another compulsive disorder.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011