When and How to introduce cows milk ?

My son is only 7 months , but im just wondering so i will be prepared ahead of time .

I know its recommended to start at 12 months , but did you start your baby on milk earlier than that ?

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 11 months mixing a little in with his formula/breastmilk in a sippy cup. We gradually added more milk and less formula/breastmilk so by 12 months he was completely on milk.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I did only because she slef weaned at 11.5 months and was having a reaction to formula.

I would hold off until at least 12 months before working into it though. As to how...just give a small bottle of it and see how he likes it. If he resists, start mixing formula with it a little at a time until he has very little formula in the bottle then take it away all together.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• When my son was 10 months I started giving him a bottle a day of it and he will be 1 next week and then I will switch him over completely.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would wait until at least very close to 12 months. I started mixing a little cows milk in with breastmilk or formula and gradually started adding more milk and less formula until dd was off formula completely.
    Anonymous

• i didn't give my kids cows milk. we go from breast milk to water.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I started at about almost 12 months it must have been around about 11 months.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say:  http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011