Co-SLEEPERS AND FORMER CO-SLEEPERS!!! Please help!!!

I need to get my 2 1/2 year old into her own bed. She is starting to wake again, last night 3 times for a BOTTLE!!! She was recently sick and depended on it, and it was the only thing she would take. (don't bash this) During the day, she's going potty in her own potty but at night she's soaking herself b/c of all the bottles she's taking. Where did I go wrong?? I need sleep and I want her to sleep. It's worse than when she was 8 months old. How did you transition your LO to their own bed and how long did it take???

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 2:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• So, kudos to her usuing her potty during the day! That is awesome! And, bottles, well, I am sure a lot of us have two-year-olds using bottles,. pacis, thumbs . . . alot more than will admit to it.
    I co-slept with both my kids . . . and the transition can take time, but it can be really easy.
    First, set up a sleeping arrangement for the both of you in the child's room. For the first week, you and child sleep together in the new room. Then, for a while, let your child fall asleep (in the child's room) with you there. Get up and leave when baby is asleep. When baby wakes up, go in and lay down, then get up and go back to your room when baby is asleep.
    After a while, your child will be easily and stresslessly used to waking up alone, and they will know that you are easily available. After a while, your baby will just go back to sleep on his own, feeling secure.
    My daughter hit that "secure" age around 2 3/4 to 3.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I love that rude anon posters lose points hen voted down!

I would take one thing away from her at a time. Fist I would take the bottle away for good at nighttime. Just tell her she is a big girl and doesn't want to wet the bed. Then be firm and give her sips of water, but not a whole cup. The first week is going to suck, but it is worth it. When she is weaned from the bottle, start moving her further away from your bed. First make sure you are sleeping away from her in your bed, meaning let her get use to not having you cuddling her. You just move away from her while she sleeps. Then move her bed right next to yours and get her to sleep there. When she is use to that, move her bed closer to the door of your room. Each week move her closer to her own room, until she is in her own room. Make sure to give her lots of praise for sleeping away from you. And go slow.

Big hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ok, the deed is done, no bashing needed, how to help...... Well it's going to take time, consistency and a lot of sleepless nights to get your DD into her own bed. I started with nap times in her big girl bed, without Mommy holding her at all. Let her pick out a new night light, stuffed animal, or blanket to celebrate her transistion to being a big girl. Make a big deal out of what a positive thing this is and reward her (sticker chart, treasure chest, etc) for each night that she makes progress toward sleeping alone. As for the bottle, I'm sure you did it out of desperation, but that was probably a big mistake (not judging). Just cut her off cold turkey, if she's thirsty she'll use a sippy cup. She won't starve or dehydrate herself as long as you make it available to her and make it clear that a bottle is not an option. If you don't have a younger child, them in the trash so that you aren't tempted again. GL
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 2:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ah, one last IMPORTANT thing.

Do NOT **EVER** use bed/nap time as a punishment. EVER. If they see sleep as a punishment, or you use it that way it will always be a fight to get them into bed at a reasonable hour.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It also helps to keep in mind that there are many other cultures around the world where co-sleeping and family bed are the norm. In the US, we tend to have opinions and guidelines that other countries don't necessarily have. The important thing is that our kids are nurtured, guided, fed, well-slept, and taught . . . how we get there will vary on the parents.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We are in the process of moving our 2 year old out of our bed and into his own. We have a crib-sized mattress on the floor of our room and we put him to sleep there every night. Of course when he wakes up he crawls into our bed. But we have been consistent. Once he is sleeping on the mattress full time we will transition him to his room. It takes time. We did the same with our now 4 year old and he is sleeping in his own room.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 2:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• to "anonymous" obviously she isn't asking for you to bash her, it's uncalled for. co-sleeping is a personal decision. You may be able to put her to sleep in her bed and sleep on the floor in her room until she falls asleep, then creeping back to your room. Eventually this might get her use to her own bed. Does she want the bottle because she's thirsty or because of sucking comfort? Temporarily using a pacifier at night may help until you find a solution so she won't pee so much or put her in pullups at night and try gradually weening her off the bottle again with other comfort techniques. Good luck!
    -lovingliam-

Answer by -lovingliam- at 2:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Wow, anon's got her head shoved so far up her a$$ she can't see straight - no surprise there. I would find some other way to comfort her and get her to go back to sleep but eliminate the bottles all together. Let her have a bed time snack that will help keep her full at night. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Mine shared a bed until around that age. Then they got to go their own, super special, big boys beds... I gave them a new lovie to share the beds with, and climbed in bed wit them for about 10 minutes worth of snuggles at bed time. If they got back up, I put them back in bed, hugged and kissed them and explained that it was bed time then walked away and shut the door.
    I never had an issue, but was also EXTREMELY consistent with our routine. Now my kids are (almost) 10, 6, 4... they all go to bed without any problem or protest. Just be patient, and it will pay off!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would start first with taking the bottle away. it may be rough for a few nights, but i would tell her no. maybe give her another comfort like a blankie or small soft snuggie.

But i would NOT make her a 'bed' next to yours. my opinion (and experience!). I put my son in his own bed at 3. I laid with him and read and comforted him until he fell asleep. Each week, i moved further away. rocking chair, chair in door, chair outside of room (but in sight), then finally out of sight, but in next room and if he fussed, i would gently say "go to sleep, i'm here".

start as you mean to go...meaning, you want her in her bedroom, so start there. If you put a 'bed' next to yours, you'll eventually have to move her into her room, so why not start now? Just be patient, and don't get upset with her, or that will make bedtime frustrating for you both. You'll get there, it just takes some time:)
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011