In going to start taking my child to an in home daycare....

My husband does not like the idea. Hes worried about how our son will be treated. Do you ladies have any good/ bad experiences with in home day care?

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 2:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Talk to the parents of the kids who use the day care.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I did not like in home daycares. I like the kids all being in one room all day long.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I used to pick my husbands son up from one of these and it was just awful. the place was dark and filthy...they slept on plastic "beds" at night with their same clothes on....I did not like it at all..I would never take my child to one. sorry. Im with your husband on this one...unless of course you KNOW The person.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Personally, I would rather use an in home daycare than big one. Your child will get more attention and it's more like a family and less like a job.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• what is he afraid of? what are his fears based on? Make sure he meets the family you decide on and take all the normal precaution for checking out any daycare. I had to take our son out of the daycare Center because he couldn't transition and basically made him shut down as a child.. you knew within a week of him being at the in home daycare - he was like a brand new child who finally laughed and was excited and had fun and had skills he should have had previously at 2-1/2.. we were terrified of in home daycares and mostly because of things heard and read on the news - do your homework and interviews and research the best you can.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Think more about the individual providing care than the setting the care is being provided in.

I work for a child care resource and referral agency and of the 3 staff that have had babies in the last few years all three have choosen a home provider.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Goodness, sorry some of you ladies have had bad experiences with in-home daycares. I have an in-home daycare and I have also worked in a regular daycare with pretty much every age. I know that in my care the children receive more one on one care than they would at a regular center. My home is pretty much their home. We have circle time, centers, everything you have at a center. I also have a degree in Early Childhood Education. At a center the teacher only needs a h.s. diploma and some experience. I would really check out the in-home as they are all different. Ask if you can talk to the other parents who have children there. Take your husband with you to see the place. I would make sure the provider has clearances. I would also ask for a schedule of daily activities and a daily sheet to be sent home everyday.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Have you checked the place out thoroughly? Are you able to make unannounced visits? I am also leery of in home situations, but I do know there are good ones out there.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Your husbands fears are valid. There are some bad people out there. However, I worked at an in home daycare once and it was wonderful. The kids were well cared for. Clean and in a clean environment. Fed healthy food. Enjoyed many developmental activities throughout the day and best of all were very loved. They all received a lot of attention as well as having the opportunity to work on their socialization skills with children outside their own family. If you can find a place like the one I worked at where you can trust the home and the care providers it will be a positive experience for your child. Good luck. Interview the homes with your husband so you can both agree.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I babysit children in my home. I keep a very low ratio of children.The parents and I form a very good friendship. My children and thier children are really close.We all become almost like family.
    Its very important to find a home caregiver that you feel comfortable with yourself to sit back and talk with. Someone that invites you in to thier home just as they do your children.This shows you that they've nothing to hide.
    It can be a very homey,comfortable,loving environment. But keep in mind that these individuals are home alone with your children so you really need to get to know them well and feel in your heart that you can trust that person.
    Mayeb you can find one that would be willing to let you come and sit with her and the kids for like half a day for a couple days, just to see how she interacts with the children.
    Hope this helps a little. Good Luck!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011