I'm going back to work full time.....

And I feel like im going to be spending too much time away from my son who is four. What are you thoughts on being a full time working mom?

jmgblair10

Asked by jmgblair10 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's different for everyone. If you have meaningful employment that pays a living wage you'll probably be pertty happy. If not, you'll probably have a little resentment.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Rule one for the working mom: Nothing has happened unless mom was there to see it.

At age four, he's reaching the point where he would be wanting to spend more time with other children than with you. Once he's accustomed to his new situation, he won't feel your absence as much as YOU will feel it. And that's OK! It's part of growing up.

Also know that you are modeling responsibility for him. That's a very important lesson, and one that will last forever.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Many of us do it all the time.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am a full time working mother of a 17 month old. Unfortunately due to finances I had to come back to work when DS was only 7 weeks old. I think that at age 4...your child will be just fine. Just call as often as you can and spend some extra one on one time with him on the weekends. Make it special. Say for instance " Saturdays are mommy and son days" . I wish you luck ! Its very hard...
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 2:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My thoughts are that you gotta do what you gotta do to make sure your kids have what they need. Good luck with work:) I've always worked and always will and my kids are very happy .
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I separated from my ex when my daughter was 4 and I went back to work 32 hours/week. She's 9 now and I'm back to being a SAHM, but I hate that I missed so much time away from her when she was that age!

Answer by missanc at 2:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It's way harder on you than it is on the kids. Women have been working "full time" since the dawn of humanity - whether it was leaving the children with older/younger women of the tribe so they could gather necessary food, or they were dropping them off at daycares during WWII so that they were available to make rivets. The key is to understand that you are clearly providing him good care while you are gone. I'll add that I've worked full time for most of the time that I've been a mother. Both of my boys have a very strong relationship with me and still wish to have my company - even the 10 year old (who will still be seen in public with me).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, my boys are 4 and 5 and I work full time in the summers...they are cared for by their older sisters who are 20 and 17. I have HUGE guilt esp this year as it is my 5 yr olds last summer before school. BUT, I work and make great money so they can have a pool and do fun things while I am gone. My money helps "feather" our nest during the winter months, pays for our cars, food, the house payment..in addition to DH's income. What good is having my home when they have no home to be in. At least they are with family who could not love them more, and I can avoid expensive daycare where they get every germ that comes down the pike. They can do what they want all summer, swim, run, play, go to the zoo etc. There will always be guilt in parenting, some you just have to let go because what you do is for the greater good.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• at that age he wants to be kids his age than u. he wants to get out an explore the world. if ur nervose u going to miss something that he might door say something than call him at ur lunch or stop by to see him
    auna21

Answer by auna21 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011