Diabetes screening tests?

My family and friends have been nagging me to get tested for a while now and one of our local pharmacies is doing free screenings this Saturday, so I'm going to go down there. Is there anything I should know in advance about it (the test/screening, that is)?

(I don't think that I AM diabetic, but I want to rule that out so that everyone will leave me alone about getting tested.)

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Health

• They might just do a questionnaire and a quick fingerprick to get a sugar level. If you want to know your real risk, it might help to get a yearly physical from your primary. They will order some more specific labs to look at your current fasting sugar numbers and your risk level . . . it is worth it because it will also give an indication of your cholesterol and other lipids . . .

Good luck.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 2:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There is several ways to test, but since it is at a local pharmacy doing it I would assume, you wouldn't have to do anything out of the ordinary. I think it would be a casual plasma glucose level test. http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/diagnosing-type-2-diabetes?page=2. GL. I hope it is nothing too.

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Finger prick and you're on your way.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 2:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011