Do you think that some people use abortions as a means of birth control?

My daughter's friend has had 5 abortions, no joke, 5... within a 4 year period. She's 17 now and I'm just astounded. My daughter is 16 and has strict boundaries and she's told me to be honest she likes it that way, feels safer almost. So she normally has her friends over here, her friend was crying all night and when I asked my daughter what was going on she said that the whole school had heard about her having 5 abortions, I'm not even sure that this is healthy for your body... All I can think from this is that she must be using abortions as a form of birth control... My daughter says her friend always confides in her and she never uses protection, just carries on doing what she's doing and listens to no one... Have you ever known anyone like this? What do you think of this? Is there anyway to prevent it? I think not, unless we limit the amount of abortions one person can have in their lifetime! Which is starting to infringe upon rights maybe... I don't agree with abortion whatsoever but this girl is taking the biscuit even for pro-choicers I'm thinking...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• yes, i believe some people do, i guess i don't understand why that girl would not be on birth control.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• canofwormspopcorn

knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think that they majority of people stop before sex and say "hey, we don't have condoms but that's ok If I get pregnant I'll just get an abortion" but I do think that a lot of women get them to terminate a pregnancy that COULD have been prevented by using birth control.
    Anonymous

• I think that maybe you should offer to help her get on birth control (like the shot, or something she doesn't have to take everyday). Maybe she doesn't want to get her parents involved, but here where I life teens can get birth control and the health dept. for free. I think that it's the best option for her b/c it can't be healthy for her to keep getting abortions like that.
    PhoenixsMommy10

Answer by PhoenixsMommy10 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know it!! It should be illegal to get more than one abortion in life. Some women do it cuz they are gonna go to or finish school others do it cuz the state pays for it and abortion/ a child has no real meaning to them.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I thought that PhoenixsMommy10 but I thought you needed parental permission to get an abortion? And she was below 16 on the first 2 occasions I think so I thought they must know, then agian if they're not helping her I might ask my daughter if she just needs a little push to get on BC.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have to wonder what kind of damage this girl is doing to her body with all of these procedures. And, really after this many times it sounds like she should just get her tubes tied and save the tax payers a huge chunk - since I'm guess that at 17 she doesn't have the income required to pay for these herself.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know someone who had 4. She was told another would kill her. She used it as bc.

I know another girl who was raped. She did not use it as bc. She ended up killing herself over the rape and abortion.

It is not always a cut and dry situation.
    Anonymous

• No matter what, even if ''we'' limit how many abortions a woman can get in a lifetime, that will not stop one from exceeding the limit, illegally! There's always going to be a constant battle between pro life and pro choice, but no matter what, women are going to do what they want to go, weither it's legal or illegal, or limitations or not....
    Anonymous

• Anon - I agree but I was not including rape in this, I was asking whether SOME people use it as birth control, and I was talking about more than one, nothing to do with that situation.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011