Worried.

My son is 8 and he recently made friends with a girl at his school, she apparently told him that it's normal for kids their age to have sex and that everyone does it and would my son like to do it. He politely declined and they carried on playing.. Do you think that this is just a misconception at her age or do you think that this could be part of a deeper seated issue with her? Or am I just completely over reacting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would be very concerned by hearing that. It could be that she thinks "sex" is something smaller like kissing or holding hands...God forbid she actually knows what it is because that would open up a whole new can of worms. I would be very suspicious that she had been molested. I'm sure that is jumping to the worst conclusion, because she could very well just be repeating something she heard on TV or on the school bus, but I would rather be safe than sorry on that one!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Wow, it sounds like it could be something deeper but who knows. I think now since this has been brought to your attention is a good time to give him the talk if you haven't already.
    Anonymous

• 8 year olds shouldn't be thinking that sex is normal for their age. Someone must have fed her that line and that would raise a red flag for me!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Maybe she is being molested, or is seeing things she shouldn't be seeing and is wanting to act them out. I would definitely bring it to the attention of the school principal or psychologist. That is not normal.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• RIGHT NOW SINCE YOUR CHILD IS YOUNG REALLY TALK TO HIM ABOUT IT AND TELL HIM WHAT IT IS AND WHAT COULD HAPPEN IF HE DOES FOR WHEN HE GETS OLDER BECAUSE SO MANY TEENS ARE GETTING PREGNANT STARTING FROM AGES 10 AND UP HE REALLY NEEDS TO KNOW AHEAD OF TIME
    MS.AVON1

Answer by MS.AVON1 at 4:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i would have a talk with your son hes a liitle young just see what really happend and you may even want to look in to having a talk with the little girls mom...you never know what could be going on in the household there could be a deeper problem in my opinion at that age they should have no idea what sex even is i would check in to it
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 4:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• That would worry me too. At 8 they shouldnt really know too much at all. Unless she has been exposed to it in some way.

You need to talk with someone for her sake. You might be saving her, you never know.

And if not, then you know you did your best.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Wow. Does she have older siblings that fed her that idea? I'd be worried too. Might want to make sure you have THE TALK with your son and make sure they are always supervised when they're playing. And I agree about maybe letting a counselor know at school what she said. There could definitely be more going on there. Good luck!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• If you don't know the girl's parents, I would talk to the kids' teacher. Teachers are bound by law to watch the children in their care for signs of abuse, and this child should certainly have some extra attention in that area!
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2008