New car seat regulations-Article Included

The American Pediatrics Association has updated recommendations on car seats, including advice that children remain rear-facing until age 2, or until they max out the limit on their seat.

So, I read the article and it makes a lot of sense. Also it's not required but very strongly recommended for good purpose

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/carseat2011.htm

-lovingliam-

Asked by -lovingliam- at 2:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• Follow the height guidelines for your carseat. If they exceed the height for rear facing, then there's not much you can do about it, but turn them around.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it's a little extreme...but that's just me. Then again, arent' they just discussing it? I don't think I heard that anthing was set in stone.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Just because it LOOKS uncomfortable to us doesn't mean it is to them. My 3.5-year-old recently WANTED (more like begged) to ride rear-facing, even with his legs pulled up or crossed in front of him. He's apparently more comfortable that way. It's actually better on their backs because of the recline in the seat, since young children aren't tall enough or have legs long enough to hang over the edge of the seat properly. Plus they're more flexible than us.

Besides which, there are LOTS of examples of injury and even death due to forward-facing young children; I've never come across ANY documentation of broken legs due to rear-facing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• their page says its already been updated that way. I'm guessing they will probably design new seats that cost more money and have yet another seat to transition into. I'm going to read their article on it
    -lovingliam-

Comment by -lovingliam- (original poster) at 3:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Worriedmomm600, it's a recommendation by the AAP and NHTSA, not law. And it's actually been recommended for quite some time. They're basically saying it's safer and best to do it this way, not that it's legally required.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yeah, I heard this new recommendation all over the news this morning. Kinda makes me glad my kids are too old for that. BOTH of my kids are big for their ages. My 7 1/2 year old is the same size as most 10 year olds, my 4 year old is the same size as most 5-6 year olds.

I think I heard in Europe that they want kids to be rear facing until age 4.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011