Experiencing some sleeping "issues" with my 4 month old twins...

They sleep great...but only in their car seats. They love being snuggled in and the upright position really helps with their digestion. I have introduced the crib several times and often they nap in the crib. However, if I want them to sleep more than 30 minutes, I have to put them in the car seat. I have tried some modified versions of "crying it out" because one of my boys has some digestive/gassy issues and the other spits a lot. When I finally pick them up from fussing in the crib, usually one spits (or is covered in spit up) and the other is upset from his gassy belly. Also, they fall asleep really well in the crib if they are tired enough, but the big issue is helping them fall back asleep after they wake after about 30 minutes. I use a mobile, lullabies and a dark room. Any other suggestions? We have our 4 month pedi appt soon and I imagine that she will tell me to try to get them out of the seats as well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried putting a wedge under the crib mattress so they're sleeping on an incline? I'm pretty sure Babies R Us has them. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401848

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Do you allow them to sleep together? Do you wrap them tight in a baby blanket? Sounds like they like that snuggness they get in the carseat. You can also put towels under the mattress to raise up thier heads.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Keep them sitting up a little longer before putting them down after eating. Try to keep them awake for that time. The milk could be wrong for them, also. If it keeps coming up, try switching to a different formula.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• are you breast feeding or formula feeding? if you are breastfeeding, you can fiddle with your diet and see if that improves the gassy and spit up issues. if you are formula feeding, maybe you could explore different formulas.
    i breast fed and co slept with my twins for over a year. i would feed/ sleep with one for 1 1/2 hours, then the other, and we switched back and forth all night. i was sooo tired by 15 months that i quit the breastfeeding.
    anyhow...i am a super big fan of doing what works for you and your babies!!!
    all babies are different and they all have different needs and wants.
    if the car seats are working, then i say use them.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 3:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thanks! I breast feed them together. It really works and it is actually easier for me because I can feed at the same time. I have tried changing my diet, etc. but the pedi thinks that their digestive systems are just taking a little longer to get used to the world because they are gaining weight and are overall happy. We usually "play"...read books, etc. for about an hour after they eat so I try to give them enough time to burp and spit up. However, it seems like there is something about lying them flat that makes them uncomfortable again.I tried propping the crib, but they always seem to end up down at the bottom of the crib.The car seat sleeping is working fine, but I'm concerned about their physical dev. while stuffed into the seats. Thanks again for all of your feedback!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• have you cut dairy from your diet?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Breastfeed & perhaps cut dairy from your diet (it takes at least 2 weeks once your dairy is gone to see results). I would stay away from any type of CIO because at their age even CIO advocates say that is not ok. It is way too young to have a baby CIO.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011