House training a dog.

I have a 5 month old German Shepard puppy and she is pooping in one particular spot in the house (by the stairs going to the 2nd floor...) We have cleaned it with our carpet cleaner using a "pet deoderizer" cleaner any other ideas on what to do? She usually lets us know when she needs to go out but sometimes she is playing in the living room and the next thing you know you can smell poop and she snuck over by the stairs and pooped. Any ideas (I try to make sure I take her out ever 2-3 hours as I can and she does great at night upstairs with us!)

michcous

Asked by michcous at 3:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pets

• is she getting enough exercise also?? those dogs have insane amounts of energy. She may just be mad and trying to make a point. also, the biggest and best way to help potty train is to have them on a strict schedule with feeding. Some people leave food out all day so they can graze. My friends actually say my dogs are "brainwashed" b/c they literally are outside pooping before they're even done chewing their food. Crate training also help and NO it's not mean...dogs are denning animals and feel safety and security. they won't potty where they sleep. My dogs were crate trained for a year and a half. Best thing we ever did. 7 years later we've never had an accident.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• go to pet mart there is a puppy training spray that make them not want to go there it dose not alwats work but its wortha try
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• he should be going out more frequently at this age. Every half hour. That's how we've always done it so our pups didn't get the chance to have an accident.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 1:19 AM on Mar. 29, 2011