How true is the notion that children of Working Moms end up living with step-parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am completely caught off base on this one. I have had to work full time since the time my children were born to make sure there is food on the table, a roof over their heads, heat coming out of the vents and clothing on their backs. And why on earth would anyone put a statistic out there that would create any more guilt in working moms than we already have?
    catsmom1993

Answer by catsmom1993 at 9:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have actually seen the opposite to be true, it is harder to keep your kids if you are not working and can't support them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That was just wrong scout_mom and VERY offensive to many mothers who bust their butts to make sure their kids have what they need. I work because I CARE if my children are provided for.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that statement is ridiculous.

Scoutmom -- Daycare doesn't raise my children. My child attends PRE-SCHOOL Mon thru Friday from 8 until 4 -- so let me do the math for you -- That means she is in PRE-SCHOOL for a total of 40 hours per week and is with me 128 hours per week (more than 3 times as much as she is at PRE-SCHOOL) -- PRESCHOOLonly enforces what I have already taught her. That, my dear, is a FAR-CRY from "raising" my child.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Not true. I know a lot of working moms who have never divorced/remarried, including myself.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Why would this be true?? While I am a SAHM, I have nothing but respect for single working moms. They are some of the hardest working mothers out there. There is nothing wrong with a good, clean, healthy, well run daycare. The only time I've seen that step parents end up with the children is when the mother has outlying issues such as drug use.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• scout_mom so because I work I do not care about my kid?
    Anonymous

• Meaning that working women are more likely to divorce, and they lose custody when their ex-remarries? I've not seen any statistics to support that notion.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• not true at all
    RACINGMANIA

Answer by RACINGMANIA at 3:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have never heard this. I have worked since the day my son was born and he is now 8yrs old.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011