Why do YOU think it's so easy for some people to accept the idea of a supernatural God yet so difficult to believe that there could possibly be ETs out there?

This question was posed by a show I was just watching... Thought it may be a good one to pose here as well...

What do you think? With over 80% of American's claiming to believe in at least the possibility of God, why is it that only about 60% of them claim to believe in the possibility of E.T.s? Is it really easier to believe in a supernatural unseen being than it is to believe in life on another planet?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think both exist, so I'm not much help to you (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that people believe more so in their "god" because its been ingrained into them. They have known about it since birth more or less. There is history towards religion that out lasts any ideas of UFO's or Aliens.

I think Aliens are just harder to understand, because it could shake the foundation of the "god" theory if there are other beings out there.

I believe in aliens.....and gods...
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• For me it's the other way around. I think it's awfully presumptuous to believe we are the only life forms in our vast universe, even though I don't necessarily believe in "little green men". But SOME sort of life form, sure, I'm open to that possibility. However, I can't believe in a bearded man in the sky, any more than I can believe in unicorns or easter bunnies.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't know that I can help. I don't exactly believe, but I don't not believe either. Let's just say that I am open to the possibility that God could have created other people in other places.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I beleive in both....I think it's a little narcisstic (sp) of us to believe that God created all this VAST universe and all these galaxies and we are the only beings he put in it...it sounds ridiculous to me
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm somewhere in a mix of Wish2Be and Anouck - both well said.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• "For me it's the other way around. I think it's awfully presumptuous to believe we are the only life forms in our vast universe, even though I don't necessarily believe in "little green men". But SOME sort of life form, sure, I'm open to that possibility. However, I can't believe in a bearded man in the sky, any more than I can believe in unicorns or easter bunnies."

Totally Agree.
    But i also think if alien life forms do exist, and they are advanced enough to travel to other planets, they are probably so much more evolved and intellegent that us, so why would they want with us? lol. But i'm sure we are not the only beings in this, or another, galaxy.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I really don't know... I've very open to the reality that the likelihood of our being the ONLY life in the know, and unknown universe is slim to none (and slim just got shot). I can not, however, force myself to believe that there is a skydaddy who created us. Simply doesn't hold water.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I believe in both as well... But I know MANY who believe in God(s) but simply don't believe in ETs.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I believe in many Goddesses/Gods and also that we are not alone in this
    vast Universe of ours and beyond...
    I can not believe that we are the only living and breathing creatures around...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011