Are Your Windows Childproof?

I was just reading an article about this and it made me wonder about my own DD and some of her windows. I know none of the kids beds have ever been near windows and all cords are out of reach also. Eric Clapton had a son fall out a window, I had a neighbor have a 2 yr old fall out and die? Are yours safe?

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 3:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest has autism and used to open the windows on the 2nd floor. I didn't feel safe nailing them closed, or locking them with a key, (for fire reasons) but I did get alarms that sound whenever a window is opened.

Answer by missanc at 3:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Our house is a ranch. If she fell out of the window it would be less than 12 inches to the ground. Cords from all blinds are secured though.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I am so great-full we do not have corded blinds in our new place! My LO's cannot reach the latch yet to open there own windows but I am still very paranoid as we are in a two story town home! When they are older I would consider either alarms or safety latches.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 3:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I doubt mine are child proof. But even if the locks are safe, whats to stop a kid from breaking the plate glass? It's not very shatter resistant.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• we teach ds, 3, not to go near or put things out of open windows... he isnt even allowed to play with toys on the window sile when its closed. he gets 1 warning then a time out, if that doesnt work a spanking then more time outs. honestly, its not hard to teach children not to open windows or put things out of them. its similar to the stove and knives that are in drawers where kid can reach.....
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 9:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011