Will I ever find the answers I am looking for? How did you figure out what YOU believe?

I just don't know what to believe any more. I have been a devout Christian my whole life and I know I still have a love for, who is to me, the one and only true God. Then I think about that statement one true God. Is there others who are not the True God or was that in reference to false idols? Then I did a little research on Judaism and Hinduism and they are pretty similar in to the Christian faith in many aspects... Then I have learned that a lot of Holidays celebrated by the Christian faith are based around Pagan faith so I question the validity of Celebrating them. Christmas isn't even really Jesus birthday. Easter isn't really right either. I am just so confused the more I learn the more confused I get...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am a Pagan and found no peace within Christianity and to me there was no comfort. BUT that doesn't mean that Christians can not find peace within their path. Maybe it is the man made denominations that turn you off. Maybe you are coming to the conclusion that the bible is not 100 percent true. I think some of the most well rounded Christians I have encountered are the ones who put a book aside and reach out to their God through prayer and a deeper more meaningful relationship with their fellow human.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It is you that must search/seek and learn what your heart is telling you...
    It is up to you to ask questions, to take the answers you get and think/meditate
    on them, let your heart talk to you...
    If being a Christian is your path, maybe another form of the Christian demon is what you
    are seeking... maybe away from organized religions and more of a one on one personal walk
    with your God...

I myself am Pagan, I found no answers in the Christian faith that I was raised in...
    I now find peace and happiness in my beliefs and the answers that are right for me...

and yes some of the now celebrated holidays have Pagan roots to them. Again not all
    Christians celebrate these holidays bc of the history and many do bc of their more circular
    form now...
    You are the one who must decide how you wish to follow your own faith/beliefs and to do so
    you must ask ?'s and soul search on the answers...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm constantly studying, discussing, contemplating, digging.... I really think the more you learn the more you can reflect on how YOU feel/believe...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Like bandgeek, I'm always studying and questioning. There are so many "flavors" of Christianity that there's no way to say, "This is the one true path" for any one man-made denomination.
    Strip away all the church-talk and figure out what your bedrock beliefs are. What do you believe that makes you say, "This is the beginning of my faith. Everything else I believe is based right here." Once you figure that out, you can find your personal path to God.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 4:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Its a journey and its wonderful.

I have my core beliefs, those things that wont change, and I have those things that although I have ideas about I dont pile them into my "core" as being absolute and never changing.

When I started my spiritual journey I put down in writing what I knew I believed for sure, what I wasnt sure about, and what I knew I absolutely did not believe. Then I started researching and reading and went with where my heart led me.

Good Luck!
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I simply couldn't believe anything else. Give yourself knowledge, open your mind, you'll find your way.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That is what happened to me. I asked for the answers and guess what..as painful as it was for me-I got them! It doesn't mean you can't believe in specific things but the idea that what you once believed is 100% true and should be for everyone else goes out the window. I always say there are multiple ways to reach the mountain top but it is up to you to find the right path to take!
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• READ READ READ READ

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH

STUDY STUDY STUDY STUDY

also...

Belief-O-Matic powered by SelectSmart.com

is a good place to start. 

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm a former Christian (was raised as a Presbyterian). I explored Wicca and other neo-pagan religions in my teens and early 20s. I took a couple comparative religion classes in college and was very drawn to Buddhism (and Hinduism to some extent). I practice Buddhism now. I discovered Scientific Pantheism (aka Naturalistic Pantheism) in my 30s, but I believe I've always had a pantheistic view of the concept of God or the Universe. I've been learning more about Taoism recently, and am drawn to that as well (my DH is a Taoist). I have read a lot and talked to some people of different beliefs until I found my felt right to me. Just be open to explore and learn new things and try to be content with some ambiguity until you find a path that's right for you. Exploration could reaffirm your current beliefs or lead you in another positive direction, and it can be interesting to learn about and compare different beliefs. GL!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• that should be...found *what felt right ^
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011