Is a week of no lego too long of a consequence for an almost 5yr old?

After multiple reminds, and warnings to pick up lego, my son lost lego for a week for not complying. Is this too long? or is it a fair consequence? He will be 5yrs in a month.

JoyXtwo

Asked by JoyXtwo at 3:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think it's fair
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Maybe its a little harsh, but I would do a 5 day week restirction instead of a 7 day week restirction. I think it should apply to how old they are. Just like time-out its one minute in the corner for every year you are. Toy restriction should be 1 day for every year you are. At 5 years old I am sure he is fully aware of whats going on and what he is supposed to do.

Good luck !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Sounds fair. I do that with playdoh. You don't clean it up you loose it for a week then we can try again. 2 strikes your out. You loose it for another week.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree that a 5 day week is better. I don't think it's too harsh at all. More parents need to take and keep control of what their kids are doing as long as possible, because one day, they will thank you for it.
    darter

Answer by darter at 3:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That sounds totally fair.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, we were going until the weekend, with monday as the first day, and sunday as the day of the offence. So, I guess that works out to 5days. Today is only the first day, and he's been asking and asking and asking. I hope it gets better.
    JoyXtwo

Comment by JoyXtwo (original poster) at 3:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Very fair. And if you told him a week, keep it a week - giving them back early will not send good messages. It is not too much. My kids get grounded from the DS for weeks at a time if they aren't proper with it.
    Anonymous

• I think it is fair.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that is fair, if he is refusing to pick up then making an impression will hopefully work.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think its fair.
    chiquis

Answer by chiquis at 2:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2011