Do you believe every aspect of the religious community you are a part of?

I mean do you agree wholeheartedly with every part of the doctrine you follow (Baptist, Jewish, Muslim...) or do you question things. If you question them does it make you still part of that faith or something else entirely?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Questioning is encouraged in the paths I follow. I never believe anything just because it's in doctrine or others believe it. I believe if it stands up to reason and is good for everyone. I've accepted these quotes as logical, sound advice to live by, and think about them anytime I read sacred texts.

"Believe nothing, question everything."~Buddha

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”~Buddha
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm not part of any "religious community" for this very reason. I can't find one I do wholeheartedly believe in.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It is really hard for a Christian to find a denomination that they are totally in-step with, just because there are so many things that are not discussed in the Bible (music, piercings, birth control, etc.) and every man-made denomination steps in with there own rules to "fill in the gaps." Personally, I have found a denomination that is the closest to what I believe (Baptist) and on those types of things I have to just follow my own convictions. If those convictions line up with the church, then that is all dandy, but if they don't that's ok too, because I am following what I feel God is saying to *me* and not what a group of men decided to add to the Bible.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 3:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have been having the same question and struggle myself actually. For me, personally, it is being Christian and still believing in gay rights for example... I am leaning toward the thought that I can still be a Christian even if I don't believe in everything that goes with that. I just know in my heard what I feel...
    joisie1978

Answer by joisie1978 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no...in fact when it comes down to it there are probably a LOT more little things that i disagree with or interpret differently. however, most of the really big important things are the same.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes, I wholeheartedly agree with every aspect of the doctrine I follow. The church I now attend is the only church I have EVER attended that believes and preaches the whole Bible, not just the parts they like.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Me either...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, I don't. Having a lot of questions lately. It's not that I don't believe in God. I just don't agree/believe in everything the Catholic church says, or does.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes I do...do you know why?....because its called Michellism. Yep its my own religious creation. I take bits and pieces from every religion. I am a good person and I do good things. I have no fears or worries about afterlife and I have no religious guilt. Its a much more peaceful way of life.
    ~ Michelle
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't agree with a lot of what other Christians believe, a lot of "traditional" doctrine and orthodoxy. But I do believe each of the 7 beliefs of the Christian Universalist Association, which are pretty basic. I understand that there are MANY different ways of understanding and being each of the faiths, and there is no definitive "Right" answer. Each faith has many different branches and ways of thought, many different interpretations and there are spectrums of belief for each issue, etc. Its actually quite fascinating studying the various people throughout history in each of the faiths, the various teachers or people who have left behind their thoughts... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011