6 month old pooping issues.

My 6 month son is breastfed and gets oatmeal cereal at night with some baby food that is the only time. He's always had a rough time pooping but my doctors tell me it's normal. He goes at least 4 days to about a week in a hafe with out pooping. we have tried prune juice, prunes, apple juice, water, pedialite everything to help him do you guys have any ideas? also we used a suppository but it burns him and i'm not a huge fan about give him one. please help!

vengels05

Asked by vengels05 at 3:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Breastfed babies can go MANY days without pooping. No need to do ANYTHING but nurse more. No more apple juice, water. You can give him prunes. Skip the oatmeal. It offers nothing, really. Veggies are fine.

Unless he's passing hard dry pellets he is NOT constipated. He could go 10, even 20 days without a poop! Beware the blowout at the end, though!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Okay...I had a similar problem with DS. I was told by the pediatrician at 6 months to skip the oatmeal and give him a little bit of plain yogurt ( no more than 2 oz ) at room temperature. Then give him diluted pear juice ! It worked miracles ! The oats are binders and can cause constipation. The Yogurt helps significantly with digestion. Good Luck !
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Thank you! :)
    vengels05

Comment by vengels05 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It is perfectly normal for a breastfed baby to go more than a week between bowel movements.
    Skip the cereal, and give your baby foods like avocado, baked sweet potato, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yogurt has good bacteria in it which is great for the digestive and immune systems but I wouldn't suggest giving it to a child under 12 months. Instead you can get a probiotic and supplement yourself, baby will get it through your milk.

And as the others said it's very normal for a breastfed baby to go days with out a bowel movement.
    jupiter84

Answer by jupiter84 at 9:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011