I was wondering something baout the Pope...

Someone told me he takes a vow of poverty. Is that true? If so, then why does he always look so extravagant and live in a HUGE 'palace'? I'm not trying to make anyone mad I was really wondering this. I get mixed answers when I google it. (I know this going to make someone mad-I'm sorry ahead of time!!! I swear)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Pope doesn't own any of that.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Everything belongs to the Church. Right down to the Blessed Boxers. (OK, I'm SO going to hell for that!)

Answer by gdiamante at 3:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That's the first I've heard of that. I don't know how the Catholics came to have many of the "traditions" they have today. I don't believe many of them are Biblical, as they should be. Christ is our link between God and ourselves...we don't need a pope or priest to be our intercessor.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Christ is our link between God and ourselves...we don't need a pope or priest to be our intercessor.

Christ is our link, But don't you intercede when someone asks you to pray for them? We all need, all the help we can get. All the traditions come right from Christ his words, his teachings. The Bible came about from sacred tradition which was around before the Bible.
    Read the writings of Paul, there a few times when he says remember what we taught you, not what others have twisted into their own interpretation. All these teachings came from Christ to the Apostles to us. They haven't changed in over 2000 years.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:34 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• omg people stop knocking him...
    juju40

Answer by juju40 at 11:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2011

• I'm wasn't sure, so I googled vow of poverty. Maybe it'll answer your question.

mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• And that seems like a huge double standard. He can use all these wonderful opulent things but is supposed to not own anything. It doesn't bring him any closer to the people of the church when he does that.
    Anonymous

• Everything belongs to the "church". But why the church doesn't take the same vow I have no clue. It's all a bunch of hypocrisy to me.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 4:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He's not poor the man wears Prada shoes.
    jonellg

Answer by jonellg at 6:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• The Catholic Church gives more to the poor and down trodden then any other entity in the world. All these things that you pointed out have been donated. Also without the Vatican protecting many of the great art work and work of the great artists we would not have them today. There is also a richness of history in these buildings, not just the Church's history but of the world, same with many of the ancient writings, and music. Also Prada not only gave him his last pair of red Shoes they also gave him quite a few more which he in turn gave to young men who didn't have any shoes.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:27 AM on Mar. 22, 2011