Why are there more white people on tv....

I have been thinking of this lately. Most shows have mainly white people, especially as the main characters. Kid shows I can only think of 1 show that has a main character that is African American. If I turn my tv on right to any given channel ( besides BET) 99% chance it will have all white people on the screen.

Even The Real Housewives series.... Atlanta was suppose to be an all African American show, but they still had to throw in a white person.... and none of the other shows have an African American on it ( well DC does have one but she is technically half-white) ....

What is up with that !!???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Entertainment

• Because there are more white people in the U.S.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Wow, OP.. Keeping score of whites vs blacks on television? Seriously?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Perhaps because statistically there are more white people???
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think your reading far more into things than whats really there. I could name ten shows with an african american in it. Cartoons too ! I think that most shows are diverse and its meant to be that way....its against the law to show racial discrimination. I find it offensive that this would be brought up. It shows that there are still heavy racial issues....I fear they will only get worse in time. :(

We all bleed red sweetheart. We are the same. There is no color. *hugs*
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think it's a reflection of the history of the entertainment business and a result of the US being about 12.4% black.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Sorry OP...it's a fact.

Watch BET if it's that offensive to you.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You're watching the wrong channel.
    Anonymous

• Wish2be said it all. BTW Dont they have a black Entertainment station where most of the people on there are black? Who cares what color people are on the TV. Personally I am sick and tired of hearing about people pulling the race card. Wahhh there are more white people then black people on TV or wahhh there is a station only dedicated to black entertainment. I say who gives a fuck and if it bothers you so damn bad turn the fucking television off and do something productive.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There are thousands ( if not tens of thousands) shows ...and yet you can only think of 10....

It is ignorant to say there is no color. That is why there are problems with race because some people chose to believe that " there is no color" when obviously there is.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Little Bill, proud Family, House of Pain, That's so Raven, even Caillou has the twins and Clementine. You are right there arent many but they do exist more and more shows are starting to add characters of different races. I am thrilled Disney added Princess Tiana fr my baby.
    Anonymous