Caffeine and breastfeeding

do you think drinking coffee will affect your baby when breastfeeding. IE make your child ADD

Arretsmomma5

Asked by Arretsmomma5 at 3:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• There is no evidence that it will do ANYTHING to the child.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I dont know of any evidence that proves that to be true. I drank coffee with all my boys while breastfeeding and they are all fine so far. I did limit it to one to two cups.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, I don't think so. I think if you drink too much caffiene they will have a hard time sleeping at night tho.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There is no evidence that is causes things like ADD. There is data to support that it passes through the milk to them and may make them cranky. That being said my oldest was fine no matter how much I drank, but my youngest had major crankiness with even the slightest amount I drank.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I've never heard even a tentative link to ADD. It does pass into breastmilk in small amounts and will make some babies cranky or agitated. I have three kids, all ebf... two never reacted to caffeine at all and one used to have a hard time falling asleep if I had a lot of caffeine so I never had caffeine past early afternoon with her so it was mostly gone from my milk by bedtime.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2011