Should I worry that my 9 month old is not crawling or rolling over?

My pediatrician says she is physically capable, just stubborn. But she has only rolled over from back to belly like 5 times altogether. And she HATES tummy time!

janplus3

Asked by janplus3 at 3:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Crawling is not a developmental milestone. Many babies do not crawl and are perfectly fine.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Did I worry yeah, did I need to no. The doc said at 12 months and he wasn't crawling or walking yet as long as he had found some way to get around (he scooted on his bottom and then pulled himself up and cruised on furniture) then we didn't need to worry and lo and behold 13 months old he started walking like a pro!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well she has rolled over, so that means that she can. My daughter didn't really crawl until she started walking... some babies don't do it at all. You should go with your gut instinct, although it doesn't sound like there is anything wrong :)
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• If it would make you feel better you could get her evealuated through early intervention. My 11 month old is not crawling and only rolls over from belly to back, but he has been in early intervention since he was 6 months old. I noticed he had low tone and was concerned so i called in early intervention. plus he was not gaining weight like he shold have been. He is making progress now though. i am actually going to school to get a masters in early intervention. I want to become a developmentalist since i have 2 children with developmental delays. Your daughter may just not be motivated to get moving yet...some babies are more laid back and others are more motivated to move. At least if you get her evaluated you will know what the next step is. Ask your pediatritian for the number for early intervention in your area.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It never hurts to look further into things like this & give yourself the answers you are looking for. Is it probably something serious? No. Could it be? Maybe...if I were you & you are genuinely worried, ask your doctor what you can do from here & get some sleep at night! :)
    debuysere07

Answer by debuysere07 at 4:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• my sisters little girl didn't crawl until a year, and instead of a regular crawl she scooted on her butt... turned out she had over sensive nerves in her feet and hands, didn't like the feeling. it was very minor, did some physical thereapy, took her till two to really walk, but never held her back in any other way and even though she was a super "late" bloomer she is a totally normal 10 year old now... doesn't make a difference if they were late to do things down the road it's just a memory. What you need to watch is if they can do it, and if they seem to be developing well in all the other ways... if you're worried however, get it checked out by a specialist! good luck!
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 4:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011