How do I get over it?

For the past few weeks I have been having a HORRIBLE time trying to sleep. I keep getting anxiety attacks. This has only been going on for about 3 or 4 weeks. When I finally fall asleep, I have nightmares of my babies being kidnapped by someone and I can't see their face. My husband tells me I just have to stop thinking about it, But I can't figure out how. I have a 3 year old and a 6 month old and I am so scared of something bad happening to them. I feel like a freak because I can't shake the feeling. Any advice on how to help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• See a therapist (not a psychiatrist, drugs are not necessarily what you need). But you need to talk to a professional about it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I agree with CraftingMama. DO NOT go this alone. You need to talk to someone about it.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• is it every night?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• @ maxsmom11807 Yes. Every night for about the last 4 weeks. I don't have medical coverage right now So I'm not sure how I'd be able to talk with a therapist.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Do a search online for local women's resource center and call them and ask them about community counseling services.

Also since it's been happening you're possibly caught in a cycle of now worrying that this is going to happen and so then it does. Try taking a nice long relaxing bath/shower before bed; have a glass of wine (if there's no BFing); and then as you lay down to sleep; either pick a mantra to say in your head - I will have a peaceful nights rest - or start a pleasant story and follow it along til you pass out. With luck that will carry over into your dreams.

That's just a stop gap suggestion til you can see a professional; but maybe it will give you some relief til then =)
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 4:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I went and got acupuncture, helped the best for me.
    Anonymous

• You should pray about it and ask Jesus to give you peace. Also, you should pray that nothing like what you are dreaming ever does happen. I have had issues with this kind of stuff in the past. Make sure you are not watching movies or news or anything like that that will keep these thoughts in your mind. I went through and got rid of all of my horror movies because I was always having nightmares. Trust me, it will help.
    ashlrenee

Answer by ashlrenee at 6:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You could try deep breathing techniques. When I was having anxiety a therapist suggested I start doing it. You take a deep breath in through your nose for a count of five and breath out through your mouth for a count of ten. When breathing in visualize a soothing color and when breathing out visualize getting rid of a dark cloud. Practice it every day before you go to bed and it should help relax you. And I agree with the other posts that you shouldn't watch anything violent or upsetting before bed and you should have a relaxing bath, a glass of wine, or some sleepytime tea.
    cege

Answer by cege at 7:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011