How do you know you're *really* done having kids?

And how can you comfortably decide to have yourself or hubby 'fixed' if you're not sure?

lovingmy4babies

Asked by lovingmy4babies at 3:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• When you are no longer medically able to have kids whether by age or medical procedure.
    Really, I'm 49 and if I had my way I'd still like to have another one.
    Of course that doesn't say anything about whether hubby is on board or not. Unfortunately he has a say too.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If you're not sure, you don't get fixed.

I can't say for sure when I knew... there just came a day when I couldn't imagine having another child. I didn't need it anymore. I think it happens when you finally mater the art of wanting what you've got, instead of worrying about what you want.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It's one of those things that you just know.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't know the answer to that yet.... we are thinking one more and done, but we are both young and although hubby would be happy to be snipped after that third baby makes its appearance, I don't know if I'll be ready to say for sure that I am done. So we are planning on doing an IUD not have to worry about it for a few years and make the call when we are a little further down the road, my sister has five kids, and they finally made that call, and she still says she would love another one, but now if they have one, they will adopt and she is ok with that. And now she is in school to be a Doula.
    Mrs.KV

Answer by Mrs.KV at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You shouldn't make any permanent decisions unless you're sure. We planned on two, had two, and were done. My husband had his vasectomy the day after my youngest was born, almost 6 years ago. It was a decision we were both completely sure of and have never regretted.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My dh decided for himself, which decided for me. Now at 39 I can honestly say although I adore babies I would never want another one.

Answer by gemgem at 3:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• we knew on day # 4 of our son being born lol~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• At 35 and with 4 kids I definitely don't want anymore.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• when the one's you have drive you nuts. Adding another one will make you more crazy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would say if you have any doubt, don't get fixed!

I have three kids, dh is 100% sure that he is done. I don't ache to have another baby, but I would consider if if dh wanted to. However, he absolutely does not want to, so that makes me about 99.9% sure that we are done. But even so, nobody is getting snipped. It just feels too final.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011