O/T Needing to put a name to a phone number

This isn't a current event or political but there are a lot of people who come through here so I thought I'd ask
Does anyone know how I can find out who owns a phone number? I tried to google it but I get a bunch of reverse name/number sites and you have to pay. I'd pay but I don't want to end up signing up for anything or being screwed for giving my info out to some weirdo site. It's not life or death so the police are not the answer.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• whitepages.com reverse phone lookup is free and very accurate
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Most libraries have a Haines criss-cross directory in their reference section.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Have you tried googling just the phone number? That has worked for me in the past.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• call the operator, they will do it for you.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Is it a landline or a cell phone?
    For a landline, whitepages.com has a decent reverse search that is free. However, if the owner has an unlisted number, you will not be able to get the name attached to the line.
    I have never had any luck finding the owner of a cell phone number for free. I was desperate one time, and paid 12.95 for a cell phone reverse look up. I got immediate results and the information was accurate.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011