Online time for preschooler

Is three years old too young to be surfing online?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Surfing? Yes, too young. But it would be fine for him/her to use certain sites approved and supervised by a parent.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Do you mean surfing as in the type of stuff we do? Yes. I have some sites that I will allow my son to go on, but they are educational sites that I have gone on, checked out, and even done some of the stuff myself to ensure it's safe. They are bookmarked, and when my son wants to go online, I pull up the site for him and stay very nearby to ensure he goes nowhere else (of course, it helps I haven't taught him how to go anywhere else yet! LOL)
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Surfing? LOL.. I let her play on some websites but she freaks out if she accidently gets off that site or closes the window. She is not a web surfer
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 5:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Surfing? Yes. There are way too many things she shouldn't stumble across on the internet. (Heck, I don't want to see them either!)
    Playing online? That's fine. Try www.starfall.com
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son is allowed to go on starfall.com and pbskids.org. Of course I set it all up for him, but once he gets there, he knows how to navigate around to what he wants to do. I stay right next to him for one to make sure he doesn't dump my computer on the floor, but also to make sure he's not going anywhere else. If he accidentally hits something and goes off the site, he usually flips out anyway! lol
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 8:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My daughter liked Noggin. It one thing to let them play on a preschool site supervised, but just outright free surfing no...
    vampjaded

Answer by vampjaded at 9:40 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• You can set up the permissions on your computer so that he can only access approved sites. We let my son play on www.starfall.com and www.pbskids.com. That way he's safe and can't find inappropriate material, but he can still play. He has his own account on the computer so that I don't have to disable the permissions when I want to use the computer. :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• My kids play on Noggin.com or sesamestreet.com but to just let them have free range... no.
    annajosiemom

Answer by annajosiemom at 4:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Mine doesn't really know what "surfing" is... She only knows Nickjr and has a link straight to that on the desktop. Thats all she does when she's on the computer- she plays the games on Nickjr.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 28, 2008

• YESSSSSSSS! If its something like webkinz then its ok with a responsible person's help. But going on Google, looking at pictures is definitely not something a young child should be doing.
    wish_2_be_a_mom

Answer by wish_2_be_a_mom at 1:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2008