Guns + Boys?

When or did your boys ever start thinking of guys? Pretend play? Building guns, wanting/playing with Nerf guns, shooting and pretending to get shot? What age? My son will be three next month and hes into all of the above already? Should I be concerned. I think its because his uncle (10) is over at least one day a week and is into all these things...

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 4:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• My son whas been into them for awhile. He sees all the video games daddy plays. My brothers were the same way, but it was cowboy movies that got them into it. I think boys are just drawn to them, like matchbox cars. I still refuse to get him anything other than a water gun and he's not allowed to draw them in pictures. So of course at his kindergarten readiness assesment, when asked to draw a picture of himself, he included a gun. *sigh* I dont encourage it, but I think it's normal.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 5:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No need to be concerned. My boys (I have 3) were all into them by that age too. I dont know why they get into them, but they just do. My grandson is now all about the cop and bad guy play.

Answer by gemgem at 4:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My boys are 3 and 4. I would say in the past year is when the whole "gun" thing started. I wouldn't be concerned. I think it is normal. Even if boys are not given toy guns they can make a gun out of anything. We do not allow them to point guns at people when playing. If I see that then the guns are gone. But they are allowed to pretend that they are hunting and looking for deer, rabbit, turkey, whatever. We are teaching our children gun safety from the beginning. They will know how to handle a gun and to treat it with respect.
    Anonymous

• Normal if he's been exposed to it. Honestly, I'd rather mine play less violently.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son is four and last week him and the neighbor kid were playing and he took his cap gun and said if the kid kept making him mad he would shoot him in the head. Itook them all away and he no longer plays with guns of any kind!
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 4:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Oh and for the record my sons are 18, almost 19 and 11 and so far havent actually gone out and shot someone.

Answer by gemgem at 4:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011