I'm unorganized and it is costing me time, money (and sanity!) I had a suggestion to meal plan. Any recommendations in this area?

LizaJ_Mom

Asked by LizaJ_Mom at 4:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• I generally only plan dinner, but I know some who plan 3 meals/day. Basically, it's just thinking ahead one day a week about what you want to cook. For ideas, start with your weekly grocery flyer and see what's on sale. Based on that, go through your cookbooks and see if there's anything there you want to try. I always cook for at least 1 meal of leftovers, so I really only cook 3-4 nights/week. Sometimes it helps to think in terms of 1 meat (beef or pork), 1 chicken, 1 pasta, 1 vegetarian, or 1 seafood meal per week. Then you make your grocery list based on your menu and you only have to shop once a week, rather than wasting time and money at the grocery store picking up bits and pieces every day.

Hope that helped!
    SelaCarsen

Answer by SelaCarsen at 4:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Every sat/sunday I sit down and plan dinner for the whole week. Then I make the grocery list to make sure I get everything I need (I almost always forget something LOL) but its a great habit to get into, its one less thingto have to worry about.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 4:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know there are a lot of websites out there. I found a meal planning website I've been using for about a year. This has saved me so much time and money.

It is called Food on the Table.

It will take you about 30 minutes every Sunday morning and you will be done. To set up your profile you add the 3 grocery stores you most often shop at, then you name what protein you cook with and it spits out tons of recipes to choose from (All based on the sales from your chosen stores!!) You click your recipes and it emails a grocery list to your i-phone or email.

I sound like I work there. hahaha. I"m just a huge fan bc it has helped me get organized. www.foodonthetable.com

Yo
    JulieBee.33

Answer by JulieBee.33 at 5:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You do sound you work there. :-) That is how I sound about psychology today magazine forums - I have found so many helpful there that it is like having a counselor. I'm always telling my friends to go there for kids behavior probs, in-law help etc. haha.

I agree that meal planning is a stressor. I make spaghetti way too much ( or spaghetti-o's haha). I have started buying a big package of chicken and then cooking several different chicken recipes in the same week. Whatever is on sale, basically. I also cook in bulk and freeze a lot.
    Polly.Pockets

Answer by Polly.Pockets at 6:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I look at the food on the Table website.... WOW.. it was really helpful! Thanks for the tip.
    CPRsarah

Answer by CPRsarah at 7:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2011