My son ate money yesterday, should I take him to get his belly x rayed?

Ok so I took my kids to my grandparents yesterday. My son kept playing in my grandparents room but I didnt follow because they dont care. My kids go in and turn on the tv and play on the bed. Today I was changing his diaper and because of all the diarrea he has been having I had to pull 4 different specimans. I found a penny (which I dont think was causing the upset tummy, he has been having it off and on for 3 weeks). I dunno if I should take him to the ER and have them check and make sure he doesnt have more.

mrssmitley1210

Asked by mrssmitley1210 at 4:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Health

• He should be fine. Pooping it out is how its supposed to happen.

Answer by gemgem at 4:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have had my son checked out every week for 3 weeks thank you. My grandparents also work in the medical field they dont have meds low enough that my kids can get into it, let alone in their room and they only went their yesterday. He is having stool samples being done and is going to be tested for celiac. I talked to his doc and they are sending him for x rays
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes absolutly take him to the emergency room. And give him lots of fluids to prevent dehydration. My daughter swallowed a pebble, at 3 years old right infront of my MIL I called her pedi and she told me to rush her to the ER, for fear that she could have a blockage. They took and xray and had an pedatric surgeon look at her and measure the pebble to make sure she could pass it.

It took 4-5 days to pass. I had to inspect every bm. ( not fun) However always better safe then sorry. You dont knwo how many he really swallowed do you ?
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I have NO idea. He is 2 and has NEVER put money in his mouth before. The pedi got him an appointment at an out patient place for an x ray at 4:30. Thats in 2 hours
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• PS. Its not being irresponsible!! These things happen, I am sure that your grandparenst feel horribly or responsible that he ate the penny. but honestly it happens all the time. How old is your son?
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 4:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would have never known unless my daughter told my MIL She was 3 at the time, I thought we were way passed that stage of putting crap in her mouth. She never did anything like that when she was a baby, now she will be 6 and I still catch her with markers, eraser tops, her DS pen and all types of crap
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My kids have always wondered around unsupervised in their house. I also have a 4 year old. They have done it their whole lives. I talked to the ped they told me what to do and thats what I am doing. I know what I am doing. I started working with kids before having kids. Things happen when you turn your back for 2 seconds. My kids usually watch tv in their room, whats harmful about that and irresponcible about letting them watch TV. Im not gonna follow my kids around 24/7. There is not 3 of me.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 4:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• She's not being irresponsible. Accidents happen to the best of us.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Ok. I just got back. He only swollowed the one. The doc said to just watch just in case.
    mrssmitley1210

Comment by mrssmitley1210 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• yes
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 11:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2011