Is Making Your Child Stand In The Corner Cruel?

I got home today and my 12 year old daughter was standing with her nose in the corner. Her dad had sent her there for backtalking and throwing things around. It seemed mean to me, why couldnt she just sit in her room for punishment? He said she has a TV and phone in her room, which is why he sent her to the corner. Well I must say her attitude changed after coming out. Anyone think this is mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• Not at all! I make my kids do it too. We have also started making them write whatever rule they broke 10 times.

It could be worse, he could have done nothing and let her keep it up and continue throwing things around.

GO DAD!!
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 5:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Not at all, I had to stand in the corner as well. I hated it but it got the point across.
    Anonymous

• Nope. Sounds like she needed it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• no he did what he thought was right. what good is sending her to her room where she has things to play with that doesnt teach her nothing.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I think it's a great punishment. I used to get the crap beat outta me, get sent to my room and it never worked. Then dad stared making me sick my nose in the corner and I shaped up real quick. Would you have rather him slapped her around? I don't think it's mean at all.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i think what he did was great. he was right about the tv and radio etc in her room. maybe this way she will learn to watch her tone with her parents
    Anonymous

• No way....sounds like she needs more corner time...

Going to the room is fun.....all her stuff is there...punishment should be a thing children want to avoid.

Be a stong momma......sounds like hubby's got it under control.
    Anonymous

• Standing in the corner is lonely and VERY boring. So they usually like it ALOT less then being sent to their room
    Anonymous

• Good for him!!
    I agree, there are toys, TV, phone, music, etc in her room. At her age, denyinig her a parents attention by sending her to her room doesn't work. A punishment needs to be a punishment.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I make mine stand in the corner but not their nose right up on the corner.

Answer by gemgem at 6:00 PM on Nov. 25, 2008