My son

I take my son to sleep everyday at the same time. He prush his teath and wear his pajema. He will go to be and for 5 minute he will say he is scared. If u are in my place, what would u do? Would u force him to go even if he is scared?
By the way he can't go to the bathroom, because he will want his sister or me to go with him(he is saying he is scared) u know all the cartoon they have scarey faces,monsters...... so he is scared all the time even in the day time.

lelly1019

Asked by lelly1019 at 4:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• GET HIM A FLASHLIGHT... I bought my son a finger flashlight with an LED bulb.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My son does the same type thing... he will use the excuse he is scared, hungry , thirsty or has to use the restroom. They are all excuses because he doesnt want to go to bed. I finally got tired of it and stopped giving in. I just gnore him and he goes right to sleep.
    jmgblair10

Answer by jmgblair10 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I allredy bougth him nigth ligth, but he look at his room and his ligth and he will tell me he is scared, I even try to leave the ligth of the room on, but he still scared, I also turn cartoon with the ligth on. But the same thing
    lelly1019

Comment by lelly1019 (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He will spen the nigth crying lol, for ahours. Than my hus just will give up, he will say, that he to sleep so he he could get up for work
    lelly1019

Comment by lelly1019 (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• you need monster spray, fill up a water bottle and have him spray around his room, obvioulsy not saturating everything just a few sprits and see how that works.
    JNLmomme09

Answer by JNLmomme09 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• my son went through this for a full year.. I'm sorry - how old is he?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You didn't mention how old he is but you can start by first finding out why he's scared and let him know that there's nothing to be afraid of. You have to give him the confidence that he's the big boy and he's in charge of not allowing anything to scare him. If he's watching inappropriage cartoons that will scare him, cut the cartoon out of viewing time. My children had the same problem, and we basically had to build up thier confidence by walking around the house to try and find the monster and when we didn't find the monster we explained that there was no such thing as monsters and a monster is just an imaginary image.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 5:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He is 3 and half
    lelly1019

Comment by lelly1019 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• is he very verbal right now? My son says he see's grandpa in his closet but it took many many months being this started at 2 years old with him, before he could tell us he see's something that scares him. have you tried a different color night lights? blue and green lights are easier and shadow things in the room less..most of the time my son would just cry mommy over and over and not really give a reason more than " i need you" I ended up sleeping with him to let him know its not scary for mommy - mommy won't let anything scary happen.. we tried the monster spray but he just liked to soak his room with water then.. have you tried a fan? almost for white noise effect? his flashlight HE had control of more than his nightlight so that really helped a lot -we bought special bedtime animals and new monster free/ scary free blankets... cut out those type of cartoons too - we watch sprout and disney and nothing scary on there
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Cut back on the scary tv things! Get him a flashlight and know that many kids say their scared because it "works". Parents feel sorry and they get the attention and get to stay up! He may decide that he's not as scared when you tell him that you won't let him watch the shows anymore. If he's still scared, help him learn some skills of what he can do. If he has a nightlight, he may want two. Go with some of his suggestions to help empower him. It will help him feel stronger and more confident. Best of luck to you!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 6:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011