He uses me as a pacifier!!!

Lol my newborn has been using me as a pacifier!!! How do I break him from this? I'll pump my breasts so my husband can feed him and when he's done he'll cry and cry until he gets my breast. He doesn't suck. He just sits there... Anything I can do?

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 5:08 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first few weeks my guy was ATTACHED to my boob. He still likes to fall asleep and just play with it at three months, which I let him do as much as possible...he won't always want to be so close to Mommy. I think it's just comforting for him to be so close to you, feeling your heartbeat, breathing, and stomach movements.

When I need to break away, though, I slip the pacifier in as I take the boob out and hold him close a little while longer, then I can put him down and do what I need to do.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• give him a pacifier. and hold him close.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Very common. I allowed it as much as I could tolerate, and when I couldn't stand it anymore (I had a lot of problem with pain) I gave him a nuk and went to another room where he couldn't hear or see me.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Dont give it to him. You should only put your baby to the breast at feeding time. You are teaching him a bad habit.. maybe he is crying for another reason..... try a pacifier... but dont let him play you like that. babies wont cry forever, and it isnt a bad thing to let a baby cry.. as long as there is nothing wrong.
    Anonymous

• My son did that ALL the time I never really found anyway to get around it. It was especially bad at night, it was like the boy could not sleep without a boob in his mouth.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Sorry I forgot to mention that he spits out his pacifiers
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son wouldn't take a paci from me when he was a newborn, but he would take it from someone else. They would have to sort of hold it in his mouth though, and hold him really close and tight.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 5:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I'm sorry, but I have to comment on the anon reply. You are NOT "teaching him a bad habit". Babies are born wanting to suck. It is a real need that they can't control. He will grow out of this phase on his own when he's ready. He's not "playing" you. That's ridiculous. A newborn isn't capable of intentional manipulation.
    Anonymous

• Thank you anon 5:17.... that other comment made me feel bad and feel like I'm not a good mom.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 5:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I was always told not to use a paci, not that he would take one anyway I did try. But, I think that you kind of have to do whatever works for you. As long as he's happy and healthy you're doing the right thing.
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 5:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2008