When is the best time to buy a crib?

How far in to a pregnacy should you wait to buy a crib? What is the best kind to purchase? I know they are getting rid of cribs with the side rail that comes down. Is there a brand that you have found is better than another. I know that I would like to get a light colored wood crib versus a dark, it will go better with the furniture that I already have and am hoping to include in a nursery (if and when I ever get pregnant...been trying for 2 years...).

michcous

Asked by michcous at 4:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Shopping

• If you plan on spending a lot on a crib, I suggest saving for it as soon as you find out you're pregnant, if you don't just have $300-$500 lying around. Convertible cribs (which is the way I'd like to go the next time I have a baby) can be anywhere in between those prices, on average, but they're well worth the cost - your child could, after all, sleep in the same bed until they move out of your house! That's well worth the price, in my opinion.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would read ratings in places like Consumer Reports and online sources that have ratings (Google it). And I would wait until maybe 7 months pregnant or so. But that's just me...........I never bought things too early because I waited until it was very "real" to me.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I'm not sure on if there is a "best time" to buy a crib other then waiting until you're in the second or third tri-mester.
    And I agree with AdensMama0308, those Convertible cribs looks awesome! They are also called 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 cribs. They go from a crib to a toddlers bed to a full size bed. The only thing you have to buy throughout the transitions are the mattresses. The 4 in 1's have a changing table that comes with the crib and can later be used as a matching dresser for the bedroom set. They have different brands, styles and prices.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Save up to get the one you want. I would have one by 7 months so you have plenty of time to decorate the room the way you want. Congrats
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 5:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• DD's grandparents from her dad's side got her a crib before she was born. It was a convertible. I would recomend one like that, cause it goes from crib, to toddler bed, to "day bed", and i think it's a full.
    We ended up co-sleeping though, since it was more comfortable since i breastfed.
    emmasmama2007

Answer by emmasmama2007 at 10:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2011

• It depends on what you want. Some cribs take up to 6 weeks for delivery.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:09 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I got mine right away. But I tried to have everything ready well before the baby came so that I didn't have to worry about anything else. I know it can be easier said than done, but that's what I did. It was fun! :)
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 6:50 PM on Mar. 31, 2011