I think I may need help.

I have been taking prescription pain medication for a long time now.(years) I am pretty sure that I am addicted but not sure how to stop this painful roller coaster. I keep telling myself I can stop anytime but then morning comes and I feel awful so I take a few. I have made my mind up to go to an AA meeting tonight - I don't have a NA around where I live. I am really afraid of withdrawals. I don't know who to talk to about this. I am actually afraid to tell my doctor who has already been trying to ween me off them. all that has done is me now getting them elsewhere. I KNOW it is not good. I know they are bad for me. I know I have to stop. Has anyone else gone though this? Advise?

PS I did go to my first meeting tonight.

laura67-boo

Asked by laura67-boo at 4:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Health

• I agree with the two previous answers. Please don't judge yourself. Anyone on long-term pain or anxiety meds will develop a tolerance and a "need" for them. Sometimes, the best course of action would be to continue addressing the pain through meds, but if you have noticed that you are just trying to avoid withdrawal, it may be time to stop.
    Please, do not do it alone. Make an appt, with your doctor and describe that you think you are growing dependent. He can give you a safe schedule to slowly reduce the meds. Also, some doctors will prescribe other meds to help you through the withdrawal. It can be dangerous for you to just stop cold turkey, so please get your doc involved. Don't listen to anyone who tells you to quit all at once.
    After you have done that, you can go to AA and NA for support.
    Good luck mama! You are not alone, honey, and your doctor can help you through this.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 4:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't think youre alone in your problem.There are a lot of people out there with this same problem. My Aunt is goung through this right now. I would talk to your doctor. Maybe he has some suggestions to help you..a lower dosage of painpill to start...detox...I'm sure there are ways and he can help you.
    Good Luck.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well you just did the first step you admitted you have a problem and this is something you obviously can not do by yourself, Me personally if you really wanna quit your doctor would be the place to start. He knows what he gives you and only he can get you off it safely
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 4:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• There are a lot of people with this problem. I work in an ED and we constantly have people come in asking for a certain drug in a certain strength and when we look up the rx we find that they already have several prescriptions for the same medication that were reccently filled. So we have two ideas of what is happening either they are selling the meds or they are taking them too often. There are rehab programs and pain specialists who work with your to get off the medications that you are taking there are also some medications for pain that are non-narcotics. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step. I am not sure that AA is going to help you it is a totally different type of addiction. I would suggest that you look online for drug rehabilitation programs in your area, also talking honestly to your doctor would be a good first step.
    michcous

Answer by michcous at 4:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011