AMERICAN & CANADIAN ENGLISH - NOT ALL WORDS SPELLED THE SAME

Ok, this not a question this is an educational statement! this to let ppl know, who don't know, that not all words are spelled the same. I was corrected on a word I used which was spelled correctly, but not the American spelling......as I am not American! and then I was told I was wrong? & that it was wrong!? seriously??? how ignorant.... in such an ignorant tone I couldn't believe it. This is also how British people spell their words!

For ppl who don't know here are some examples:
Color - Colour
Gray - Grey
Neighbor - Neighbour
theater - theatre
favor - favour
ETC. ETC. ETC.

So STOP correcting ppl when you see this as we are not all American & there is more then one dictionary in the world.
Thank you.....PLS BUMP...................... keep this going!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Thank you!  clapping

I am British and I'm now living in Canada.  I remember when my children were young and watching Barney, I always had to correct Barney and teach my children that the last letter of the alphabet was zed not zee.  I also had to correct the spelling on the occasional work sheet from school that was obviously American.  

My daughter is now going to major in English when she starts university in September.  I'm a proud mum lol.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• When I was in the Army and it was announced that we were going to have a 2 day stop in England, this idiot pipes up "Sweet, they speak our language there." The Commander just shook his head and said "No son, we speak their language!"
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• OP--I wouldn't get upset at trolls not realizing there exists American English and British English--the majority of trolls and young members on here write full paragraphs in "text speak"...which hurts both my eyes and my head!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Just ignore the dumb ignorant trolls.
    Anonymous

• Ha ha thanks for posting this!
    It's always so weird seeing how people choose to spell certain things... I'm Canadian myself and I have a lot of friends who spell lots of those words either way... I tend to spell things the "American" way, myself.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My mom is British so I go either way.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I learned both ways. I guess it could get annoying if people constantly corrected you without knowing the alternate spelling.
    SusanTheWriter

Answer by SusanTheWriter at 4:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Same goes for Australian spelling.

Aluminum - Aluminium (Australians pronounce it Alu-min-ium). Learned that from The Wiggles. lol
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 5:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Who cares anon if this has been posted 3 or 300 times. I don't think everyone has seen this so its a good idea IMO to have it posted more than once.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 5:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I cannot believe someone was tryong to correct you, and saying your spelling was wrong. How incrredibly ignorant. I may nt use the same spelling, but i know enough about the history of the english language to know the different spellings. Geez.... Some people...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2011