Would you feel more comfortable if your church nursery workers were CPR certified?

I have been trying to contact local churches and offer to teach the mothers and nursery workers and bus workers CPR and first Aid for free. I have not gotten any replies back. I thought that people would jump at the chance. Do you think that churches just don't think it is that important or do parents just not insist on it?

CPRsarah

Asked by CPRsarah at 4:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in General Parenting

• yes i would feel more comfortable cause u never know...i dont know y they wouldnt jump at the chance
    mrs.betty

Answer by mrs.betty at 4:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think thats such an amazing thing for you to do. Are you a CPR instructor?

I dont think its any of the above, they probably just need to know more about it. or have it already. Best of luck.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think any teacher, daycare personal or bus driver should know CPR....
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I would LOVE to find someone like you in our area who would do this training for our girl scout leaders. Right now we are paying around $50 out of pocket for the training and honestly asking volunteers to shell out that much is pretty bad. I think what you are doing is great (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No more important than the parents being trained. I have am given a pager and can get to my child in less than a minute. There are also a host of doctors and nurses in our congregation, so why would the nursery workers need to be CPR certified?
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 4:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Is it possible they think it's not a legitimate offer? Since the nursery workers are usually all volunteer, it may be hard for them to get them all together for the training. I recently had to go through Virtus training to work in our (Catholic) church nursery. It took 2 weeks and a ton of emails back and forth to get it scheduled for just 4 people.
    kristinhin

Answer by kristinhin at 4:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that is wonderful for you to offer that to churches. I am first aid/CPR certified and have actually had to use it once. Now am i much more confident i know what i am doing when it comes to CPR since i've had to do it for somebody once until the paramedics arrived. I work the nursery at our church and the workers there have to have the background/criminal clearences, but now i will mention to the pastor of our church about getting first aid/ CPR training as well. Thanks for the idea!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think that it is a fantastic idea! I would certainly feel more comfortable leaving my child/ren in the hands of someone who was CPR certified!
    If it were MY church (as in, if I were the pastor) I would be all OVER this one!
    MadlyTranquil

Answer by MadlyTranquil at 4:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes I am an instructor. I got certified three weeks ago so I figured that volunteering to teach people would be a good way to get good "reviews" and also a way to practice. But so far no takers. I thought that maybe I would need to give them more information? Mainly what I have been doing is calling and saying "hello my name is Sarah Love I own New Beginnings CPR and I would like to offer you free CPR and First aid classes for your nursery workers and youth workers. These classes are available in English and Spanish." Then I ask for the name of the youth pastor or nursery workers and the e-mail. They all give me the e-mail but I never hear back from anyone. I just feel like I am missing something and I thought maybe it just wasn't as important to other people. My niece was born and developed RSV and I got CPR and first aid certification to be able to teach my family when she came home. So I just thought I would share.
    CPRsarah

Comment by CPRsarah (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• A child can experience brain damage within 2 mins without oxygen to the brain. It is a shorter time frame then an adult. I would think that if a nursery worker were ready for this situation you would be saving time. The time it would take to page a parent, to have the parent come in from the main auditorium and actually get to the nursery and find the child could take more then two mins. I also think that if a daycare is required by law to have this training. Then a church nursery worker should be equipped with it. Especially when it is free. Maybe people do think that it is to good to be true. hmmm... I never figured that.
    CPRsarah

Comment by CPRsarah (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011