• In the Spotlight:

spanking a child

does anyone spank there child i think its a good way to teach a lesson ...not a hard spnkin just to get their attention...any opinions

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in General Parenting

• i spank my child. he's only two. but he's bad. and we tried the "NO HONEY DONT DO THAT. ITS BAD!" we also tried "OKAY NOW SIT IN THE CORNER THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU HAVE DONE AND WHEN THE DING GOES OFF YOU CAN GET UP" we have tried it all. or at least everything we know and thought about trying. but the spanking works. not hard but enough so that they know hey i'm not suppose to do that. you know? i know i'm going to hear the "well he doesnt really understand yet!" but he does thats the thing. they understand as early as 6 months. so yeah :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 5:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• i honestly cant do it i feel so horrible to do it dont know why but yes i believe it is a way just not hard
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I do spank because it's often the only way to teach my daughter something, I have tried other discipline methods, and even then, she's still very much a hard head (got a double dose between my husband and what runs in my family). The biggest problem is making sure a kid understands the difference between getting spanked for doing something they've been told not to do and deciding to hit them self or other kids.
    I don't spank for things like accidents or minor issues and I let my daughter know something is unacceptable before I spank her [on the bottom]. I definitely use my hand and if I warn her that she is going to get spanked for continuing something, I follow through. Of course though, if she is behaving, I make sure she knows that I love her and spend fun time with her.
    redlily08

Answer by redlily08 at 5:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• IMO all you are teaching your child by spanking is it is ok to hit when someone does something you don't like. Hypocrisy at its best

Anonymous

• I do believe in spanking. The way I look at it is this: Most of our parents spanked us, and their parents spanked them and so on, and most of us turned out ok, right?

There is a big difference between spanking and beating a child. My children are spanked as a last resort for punishment.

I never, ever spank them for hitting another child or adult though. There punishment for that is time out (for the younger two) and for my older child, he has to write a three page essay about why a child hitting someone is the wrong thing to do.

He's done this ONCE. He said he never wants to do it again. That was two years ago. He learned his lesson.
    crdc91506

Answer by crdc91506 at 5:51 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I dont spank my children, nor was I ever spanked as a child. My mom and dad were highly educated and psych majors and learned alternative ways to discipline without resorting to violence. In turn, I am now in the same field and do not hit my children out of anger or frustration. I take ten steps back and a deep breath then redirect them into something else. I also utilize time outs, grounding, taking things away, and other things like that which tend to get their attention for a longer period of time then a simple spanking ever could. I also never raise my voice to my child. If you take it down a notch and talk to them on their level it goes alot further.
    Anonymous

• Ok...lol..this is a good one because you have these "So called educated people"...well, my mom also has a DOCTORINE in Child Psychology....hmmm....we still got spanked....hmmm....we never got into a fight.....hmmm we were always raised it is not ok to hit ANYONE out of anger or anything. We also were never spanked or hit out of anger. A spanking was last resort after we had been warned, told why, grounded, things taken away, and STILL decided to do things wrong. I also do that with my two year old, and she doesn't hit, and knows its not ok to hit. Therfore, dont let people tell you if you spank your a bad parent. As long as its done correctly and the right frame of mine, its a good form of discipline
    Anonymous

• Also in my EXPERIENCE, and also in my MOTHER'S experience....I've seen more well behaved teens, children, and adults who are or were spanked, than adults who were raised without the spanking...not saying that spanking always works BUT simple fact is, EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT...i probably got 5 spankings in my whole life....my little sister 2 (she's 17), and my baby sister still gets spankings. My little sister didn't need to. All she needed was to get grounded and she straightened up. Me too. My baby sister, grounding, taking away, lost priveledges DONT WORK...so what do you "Pysc" suggest a person do? ....srry bout the vent but that aggravated me! lol
    Anonymous

• I don't like it. Especially for younger kids. You are supposed to be teachng them patience and control. I'm sorry but spanking isn't control.

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I was spanked as a child and I spank my son. We don't beat him, but the licks are given on the bare butt with a belt and it does hurt. The point is to deter future bad behavior. If it doesn't hurt why bother?
    surobb

Answer by surobb at 7:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008