Asking off, but not getting it - because, they forgot.

I know it is arogant to expect to get off each and everytime you ask to get off, but I'm ticked. I put in a request 6 weeks ago to have off for Christmas Eve (Wed.) because my family is coming to town. They are here 24/25. I watched the schedule change as other people had their schedules changed, but my stayed the same. I finally asked why. They said "oh, we forgot". Now I have been told that if I want off I have to work Christma Day. That's the only open shift left. I offered to work Christmas Eve morning, the night before, and two shifts after Christmas to help others out. They know I don't get to see my family often and that we are very active in our church. Everyone else is local and a couple don't even care about the holiday. What do I do? I'm ticked. I work when I'm suppose to and I help out when asked. I had my request in before everyone else, but because they forgot, I'm stuck.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Money & Work

• Can you take it up with higher management or HR?

rosesNclovers

Answer by rosesNclovers at 5:49 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Go to the supervisor or the head of HR. Your request should be honored FIRST as you put it in 6 weeks ahead of time. Them forgetting means nothing. You asked formally first.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I am an RN and I had this happen to me. I was on maternity leave in April and emailed a request for a day off in August. The August schedule came out around June and I was still scheduled for that day. I went to my manager with the emails as evidence (she didn't even look at it) and my manager changed it. If they forgot and you followed policy, it is their problem. I woulden't let it go. As previous replies said, I'd go to the next higher up.
    Mom_2_Boyz

Answer by Mom_2_Boyz at 8:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I don't know what to tell you. Our vacation calender for christmas fills up a year ahead of time. I just scheduled off for next christmas 2009. It's by senority where i work. They should have some kind of procedures to follow for vacation requests.
    Anonymous

• Did you ask verbally, or do you have a paper trail? What type of job do you do? Can you take a personal day or sick day? You need to find out who dropped the ball, but be proactive not nasty to keep a good workplace environment. I know it is hard, but you must be diplomatic regardless of being right.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2008