I've having trouble with overnight bet wetting!?!

My son (4) has been completly potty trained for over a year. Overnight we would have him wear pull ups (or something to that effect). He expressed an intrest in getting rid of the dipars, so we did. Now I'm having a huge problem. He wont wake up overnight at all, and now durring the day he has regressed to wetting himself durring the day as well, I haven't had that problem for a LONG time. I've heard mixed things about alarms, and other techniques like that. Should I just put him back in overnight dipars? Is this "normal"? I'm running out of bedsheets overnight! :) and I'm completely at a loss. How do I encourage him to grow up and take that next step? Do I just need to back off? HELP!!!!!

jenjen2683

Asked by jenjen2683 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my overnight tips:

move dinner back 45 minutes or so and have any drinking after that be limited to a few sips w/ teeth brushing

ditch the pull-ups. you'll have fewer accidents and no mom gets out of having to wash some pee'd sheets

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I talked to my Dr about this one time and he said...they dont even worry about a kid still wetting the bed until they are at leasst 6.

Why? B/c kids bladders grow cant keep up with their needs....they just cant hold it all night and are sleeping and dont know they need to go. Its not an issue for all kids, but a lot.

Put him back in pull ups, make it a non issue....just do it

Then talk to him about waking up and if he needs to go, then he may get up and go

I made the mistake with my older dd and didnt even think about explaining that she wouldnt get in trouble if she had to get up in the night to go. lol We had always told them if it was dark they had to stay in the bed. so she did...I felt really bad... :(
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• and OH - the one that worked best for us is to figure out your kids 1/2 way sleep point and wake them at that time and sit them on the toilet. It's amazing how compliant they are 1/2 asleep. Like if your kid goes to bed around 8 and wakes up around 6am you'd wanna get in there about 1am and make 'em pee. Me I'm a nightowl and still up doing laundry at 1am. If you AREN'T just set your alarm ... the entire process will take 5-7 minutes MAX and a bath/linen change in the morning would take lots more than that

also make sure kiddo pee's in between every SINGLE activity for awhile to create brain memory

IE pee, play legos. pee, have lunch. pee, play on bike outside. pee, go back out and check mail. pee, do puzzles with daddy, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Now my youngest girl will do that when coming down with a bladder infection so might want to rule that out first. Otherwise if nothing wrong then try to have him go potty before bed and then cut drinks done a couple of hours before bed. My youngest since a lot of bladder infections and 6 years old she still wears a pull up to bed. Doctor said most kids will out grow it. If nothing else is working than see if anything is brothering and that might also be causing the problems.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I know that my son had this same problem. After a couple of months of trying everything from waking him up at night, to not letting him drink after a certain time and so on we took him to the doctor and he ended up needing to have surgery. I am not saying that your son needs this although it doesn't hurt to have him checked out. I know with my son right after he had the surgery he stopped wetting the bed at night. I also know that when kids grow sometimes their bladders don't grow as fast as they do so this could also be part of the problem.

Good Luck!

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011