Pregnancy and Cats

I am 6.5 months pregnancy and my cat is a loner. I mean he will come to me when he wants attention but its rare. He has always slept with me but never fallowed me around or anything like that. Since Ive been pregnant he has seem to become very attached to me. He n ow fallows me around the house, he has to sit next to me on the couch and he is all about attention. If I am taking a bath he even walks in to the bathroom and cries at me as I am soaking. (Random) Has anyone else had this happen? My sister says its the pregnancy and cats can sense it so he is being protective. What are you thoughts??

annabelle092810

Asked by annabelle092810 at 5:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• cats are wonderful.. i love this.. my cats did this when I got pregnant too_!!! you will see a trend coming..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I never had a cat. only know about dogs, I guess he or she senses something differtent in you, The only thing i know is that one should not clean the litter when pregnant. happy pregnancy . mvfhmom
    mvfhmom

Answer by mvfhmom at 5:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yup, animals can sense when you are pregnant.
    My cat kept to herself and slept with hubby until I got pregnant. Since then she follows me around and has been sleeping with me right next to my belly.
    My dog on the other hand has been moping around the house and acting all dejected... but he did start sleeping on my side of the bed for a while until I had an accident a couple of weeks ago. Now he is back on Hubby's side lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 5:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I don't know, my cats have always been glued to my side whenever I'm around them, so I didn't notice any difference, heh.

Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I had two cats when I was preggers, and one was very shy. She really started to cling to me like yours during my pregnancy...it was bizarre! They can like... smell it on you, especially the female ones. Don't worry... yours will forget about you again once you don't "smell pregnant". Ha ha
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Our daughter is pregnant and the cat has completely taken up with her.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I think cats can sense it to be honest. We got her when my oldest was about 2 from a friend (I was pregnant with my second baby) when I got her she was like 6 years old. So she wasn't like that with the second baby, but when I came home from the hospital and I was feeding the baby she jumped into my lap and laid down which isn't like her. Then she would sleep with the baby or try to anyway at the foot of the crib lol. This pregnancy she has been so attatched to me she will follow me around sit with me on the couch sit in the bathroom when I am taking a bath she has never been like this so I think she knows I am pregnant. Just like our dog I think he knows as well because it is real gentle when he is around me and he will constantly smell my belly lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• One of my cats licked my bare belly a couple of days ago. Sweetest thing in the world!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• cats are very intuitive, she probably does sense something.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:49 AM on Mar. 22, 2011