Need advice on a broken finger..... is this normal??

my son was walking home from school and tripped and fell. then just as he fell another kid was running past him and stepped on his hand. we took him to the er and they said he broke his left index finger at the growth plate and to have him see his dr in 2 weeks. they put it in a splint and said to give him tylenol for pain. this was Wednesday. on Saturday we had to move some furniture out of my kitchen because maintenance was coming today to replace the flooring. he helped me with that (it was a lot because we just emptied my storage and it was not all sorted and put away yet). Sunday he needed the tylenol every four hours. but it was manageable. today i get him up for school and he is IN TEARS because it hurt so bad. it has now been 5 days should it be getting better by now.... or should i be concerned that he may have made it worse by helping me?? i tried to get him in to his dr but they said they cant see him until Wednesday and that just seems like a long time to be in pain. am i wrong??

allforthelove

Asked by allforthelove at 5:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• This is not normal-----but one thing to help is to keep his hand eleveated above his heart---a sling would help with that----but you might want to call the pediatriician and talk to them---they might be able to get you in earlier. I have a lot of experience with brakes---my youngest son broke 8 bones growing up and once he started the other kids also broke something, then my dh and then me----I broke the tip of my finger----it hurt---a lot-----one question--is it his dominant hand---he might be using it too much---esp. since it is associated with the growth plate---I am surprised they are having you wait so long when that is involved. Also try icing it for 20 minutes every couple of hours when possible.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 6:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Hmmm...It does seem like a long time, but try alternating tylenol and motrin. I've been told that helps more with the pain.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 5:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• he is allergic to motrin and codeine so i cant alternate.... :(
    allforthelove

Comment by allforthelove (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• He broke his finger at the growth plate and they didn't recommend that he see an orthopedic doctor?? My son had what they thought was a tufts fracture in one of his fingers (tufts is the end of the finger and a growth plate). We took him to a local orthopeds doc on the urgent care clinic recommendation. His turned out to not be a fracture.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• no just his pediatrician....who im thinking is not worth a penny.!! he said "its not that long .... just give him ice" when i asked how to make him comfortable until his appointment on Wednesday.
    allforthelove

Comment by allforthelove (original poster) at 5:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Call the office and talk to ANOTHER doctor about pain relief. It should not be hurting so bad and if this is your 11 yr old - get them to refer you (and set up the appointment) to an orthoped. doctor....growth plate fractures and brakes should be watched closely to make sure the bone is growing correctly.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• this is the only dr in the office ...... should i go back to the er??
    allforthelove

Comment by allforthelove (original poster) at 6:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2011