If you had a c-section on first birth were you still able to deliver normaly or did you have to have another c-section?

im curious, i had a c-section almost 3 weeks ago and its the worst thing ever...talked about not being able to do anything...(its still not healed and bleeding!!! wtf...) anyways.... i really dont want to have another one....

Erzy

Asked by Erzy at 5:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had the option on my second for either, because my OB happened to be okay with VBAC. I wound up having another C, though, because my babies are too large to birth naturally. Upon the second C, my doc confirmed that my son would have not made it out naturally, either.

It depends on the reason for your C, though. If you had one because or cord, placenta, or other issues than size, you may be a very good candidate for VABC.

By the way, my first C was terrible, painful, long recovery, infection, etc. My second was a breeze. I was up and walking later the same day, and my healing was very quick.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 5:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Had an emergency c-section with my first and 2nd was a VBAC.....for me the vaginal birth was SO much easier....it took me FOREVER to even be able to turn over on my own after the c-section....I honestly will NEVER have another one if I have a choice
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• A VBAC is a safer option than a repeat cesarean for most women.
    Keep in mind that who you hire for your maternity care can be your biggest risk factor.
    If you prefer to avoid an unnecessary cesarean be sure to avoid hiring a surgeon/high-risk doctor.

Best wishes on your recovery!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Yes. C-section on first birth due to labor complications. First son was a big boy! Second birth was VBAC. Honestly, if I had it to do over, I would have opted for C-section both times. But I was hell bent on the VBAC.
    heat631

Answer by heat631 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Well, I have never had a c-section but my mom did and had a successful VBAC. I also have a friend who had a c-section with her first and has had two vaginal deliveries since then :)
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 5:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I had a c-section with my first (he had a giant head that was angled funny, and basically got stuck, never even made it into the birth canal). I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant, and I want to do a VBAC, but everything that could possibly go wrong, is going wrong. He's measuring HUGE, and he's breech, so unless they can turn him, I'm having another c-section.

I actually didn't have any complications with my c-section, and recouperated rather quickly, but I still don't want to be gutted like a fish again...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My daughter had a c-section with her first, which was an absolutely horrible experience for her, and naturally gave birth a little over 6 months ago. So yes, it is very possible, but be sure to choose the right doctor. That is what made all the difference for our child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• As long as you are comfortable and have faith in your provider, you will probably be fine either way. I havent had a csection so I cant say much about them but I would probably opt to try for a VBAC.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 7:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Doctors in Southern Oregon won't do VBACs, so when my 2nd was a c-section, my 3rd was supposed to be. But he had other plans. He was born vaginally, and even though it was awful, I would do it again. Especially if you have more than one child at home to take care of. The recovery from a C is too much.
    ericsangel82

Answer by ericsangel82 at 8:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• My sister had a c section with her first and a VBAC with her 2nd.

She cannot express how much better her VBAC compared to her c section.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2011