I feel horrible right now How do you miss something like that?

A few weeks ago my sons were taking a bath I rinse their hair out with a glass and set the glass down and went to the bathroom closet to get a towel and all of a sudden my oldest started screaming his brother pushed him and i go look and run to get my hubby cause he was bleeding we cleaned him up and the cut had stopped bleeding and looked good. So here we are a few weeks later and a piece of glass is coming out of the scar How the hell did we miss it? so he is on his way to the er with daddy to get it out. I feel like a horrible mom that we didnt see that piece of glass.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It happens. I once thought I got all a splinter out of my little girls leg but it didnt seem to want to heal up & she kept getting mad if I looked at it so I let it go for a week. Well, it was yucky & had puss coming out of it & a part of the splinter popped out when I was trying to clean it. But just gotta ask, WHY were you using a glass? WHy not a plastic cup, or something plastic...a pitcher, a toy bucket anything but a real glass.
    Anonymous

• because he was bleeding and glass is clear.. don't beat yourself up mommy..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Hey anonymous,no more glass!! lesson learned,I hope!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Um....this is why a plastic cup is should be used in a bathroom instead of a glass one.
    But clear glass is hard to see. Don't beat yourself up too much.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Don't feel bad. Things happen. When dh was in a car accident he got all kind of glass in his shoulder from the window. The doctor took some out and told dh that he can't see it all so it will work it's own way out! Weeks later dh had a few pieces of glass coming out. So, if a doctor can't even see it all ( and they use those little microscope things on their glasses) then really don't feel bad that you couldn't see it!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• I had a piece of glass in my heel and I didn't realize it for over a year. The piece of glass may have worked it's way up as well.
    it happens, it's not your fault.
    Anonymous

• Stuff happens. We've had some weird things like that. My son, when he was 7 or so, came up to me and said his toe hurt, that it had been hurting for a few days. At first I shrugged it off thinking he stubbed it. The next day he said it really hurt and to look at it. I look and there's this one green spot on the top, above his nail. Huh? So hubby looks at it and uses a needle or something and breaks the skin and he had this HUGE infection...total absess with bright green puss coming out. It was gross. No one knows how he got it, he hadn't hurt himself, there was no sign of anything like a sliver. It was weird. It healed just fine once we got the infection drained and cleared up.
    I also had a sliver last month. THought I got it all out but a few days later it was all swelled and I took some tweezers to it, pulled the skin all off and there was a 1/2" long splinter still imbedded in my thumb...ouch!
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• We all do things we think later - oh crap! But truly accidents happen. And we all miss things. We can oh I use only plastic cups or that is why I don't leave during bath time...but there may be other moments of unguarded time with other not so well thought out things left near little ones. It happens all the way around to every parent at some point. As other moms pointed out glass can be difficult to see, enbeds itself into tge skin, and then can surface later. This will pass and he will heal. Hold him, rock him, provide comfort when he gets those boo-boos. It is what moms do.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Things just happen. Ela burned her hand a couple of nights ago on a hot pan when I was standing right next to her. Don't beat yourself up.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It happens, you coudln't have known.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011