Pre-school and potty-training

I want to send my son to preschool in September but he isn't yet fully potty trained. He refuses to poop in the potty right now and I've been fighting with him for a year over it. But...I really want him to start school in Sept. Do any schools help you with this issue? Is it a common thing? My aunt had this problem with her lil boy and the school told her to just send him with a bunch of underwear and they's take care of it. He was trained in like a week. Is this common or was my aunt just lucky? lol

Karabeara78

Asked by Karabeara78 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some schools will help, but others will not let your son come if he's not potty trained. And if you lie and tell them he's potty trained & he has a certain number of accidents, he could get kicked out... depending on how picky they are. If you have a school in mind, call them up and ask them what their specific rules are... and keep trying. I know this sounds weird, but my friend got her daughter to poop on the toilet by letting her watch other people go. The little girl saw her friend (a 3 y/o boy) stop playing, go poop & then come back to playing... and she was like "WOW, I can do that too." and was poop-trained ever since.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• My daughter started preschool at 2 yrs old. (School started 2 wks after her b-day) and she wasn't potty-trained. They helped so much! BUT....any child that wasn't potty-trained by 3, they weren't allowed to enroll in preschool. I would shop around for a preschool that would help. I think it really makes a big difference for them to be around other kids their age that are going to the potty and it makes them want to do it too.
    minivanmommy

Answer by minivanmommy at 1:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If he's developed normally in other areas, they will want him potty trained before he comes. We have some special kiddos that we work very hard on potty training with. One will be a 3rd grader this year and is down to one or two accidents a week!
    bassoonist22

Answer by bassoonist22 at 1:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2008