My 4 year old!

so my 4 year old falls asleep fine in her bed but late at nite she will wake and get in mine I've tried sereval times though the nite to put her back but when she knows sheis in her own room back she comes ugh what am i going to do!!!

budda646

Asked by budda646 at 5:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• is it bothering your sleep or your relationship at all? I would actually think its adorable if my son did that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You only think its adorable because it doesn't happen to you. I have had this same problem..and YES its a problem. It gets old having to get up multiple times a night to put them back in their bed. And its hard to sleep with a wiggly preschooler next to you. I feel for you. I only recently have got to a a point where my 4 yr old stays in her bed all night long. You just have to keep being consistent with returning them to their room & explaining they need to stay in their own bed.
    Anonymous

• she's 4. i think she's old enough to understand if you talk to her & explain how much better it is to sleep in your own bed. when she comes to your bed, don't sneak her back into her bed. wake her up so she knows what's going on and talk to her about it briefly when walking back.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 5:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• No, I have a different sleep issue - he is 3-1/2 and still thinks he can wake like an infant.. that is WHY i think it would be adorable lol! nice change of pace from him screaming my name at 1 in the morning
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• You could try rewarding her for staying in her bed all night. We did this with my oldest. We got a small prize box and filled it with some "rewards" (aka junk from the dollar store) and the first night he stayed in his room all night we made a big deal. Then we told him he had to go 2 nights in a row for a prize. Then 3 and so on. Once we worked up to a week we faded the prizes out and it wasn't a big deal.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Maxsmom: BEFORE my daughter could get up & physically walk into our room, she DID wake up multiple times a night & cry instead so then I 'd have to go get her & get her to calm down & get back to sleep. I'd put her back & barely get myself back to sleep...and....then....MAMA!!!! WAAAAAAA!!!!! The last time I slept all night consistently was 2006.
    Anonymous

• I started locking my door before I went to sleep at night. The first couple of days I would get up when she came to the door and take her back to her room. Then she started coming and checking that it was locked then just go back to bed. Now she stays in her room all night.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• hmm is she scared? or just wants to be with you? if it affects her and you the next day, let her sleep with you then show her how grumpy she is. teach her the hard way by letting her feel how tired she is. maybe she will learn better that way, like i always did. having a grown up tell me just made me want to do the opposite. hopefully she wont take it as you don't want to sleep and cuddle with her, she will hopefully take it as, you are trying to HELP her by allowing a better sleep. it is super hard to explain this to a four year old so good luck. lessons learned the hard way are the best, even if its takes some sacrificing. good luck
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 3:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2011