Kids and pink eye

My son (20 months old) has pink eye and he's already has the medicated eye drops for it But he seems so miserable. I never had it growing up and he is to young to tell me anything. My question is, is he in pain? He's not his active self, just lays there. Breaks my heart seeing him like this. I am doing everything recommanded but now I am concerned if he's in pain.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2011 in Kids' Health

• The eyes get really itchy and painful . . .like there are grains stuck in there. If your son is not showing any improvement between 24 and 48 hours after the start of the drops, call you ped back . . . it might be viral, which needs a different tx plan. In the meantime, Motrin may help some of the discomfort from inflammation. Call your ped and ask if that is okay.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• It can be itchy---not really painful----I have had it along with the kids---as it is very contagious----but if he is acting listless, it sounds like he could have something else wrong-----it is not unusual to have pink eye and another infection----often mine got it when they had strep.
    lecates

Answer by lecates at 6:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• That interesting lecates . . . come to think of it, our last bout of pink eye came with strep, as well. You should probably call doc.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• call the dr back and ask what else you can do ..... this doesnt sound right ..for pink eye. most kids can still play and be active in spite of the mild discomfort of it.
    allforthelove

Answer by allforthelove at 6:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Pink eye should only affect the eye. It sounds like something else.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2011

• Pink eye may cause itchiness and some very mild pain. But, a cold compress on the eye will relieve that. If the child doesn't have energy, then something else is going on and your son needs to go to the doctor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2011